Battery Charge 50% -- KIA Response - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

The battery and Hybrid system is covered for 10 years, 100,000 miles as original buyer.

6 years and 60,000 miles for non-original owner. Beats me why they change that for second owner?

Mine does same thing when starting (sometimes runs on battery for a while before engine starts, other times engine starts shortly after, and sometimes engine starts when I start the car.

I don't worry about it -- Maybe I should, but I think just the way things work.
realto, Rick B and Karens1stHybrid like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:45 PM

Perhaps because car manufacturers effectively lose money on second hand purchases. So they are providing an incentive to buy new.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmura View Post
Hmmm....thanks Yticolev. No long hill, no cold weather here in Georgia. I'm not sure where the battery level is on the display...still getting used to all the visuals inside. (I'm used to just the basics....speedometer, odometer, fuel gauge, etc.
I feel like I'm manning a space station control panel or something....but I'm learning!)
I live in GA too. Mine does the same thing. I hadn't noticed the battery gauge particularly low at all in the AM. (I'll have to notice later.) And I know what you mean by all the new fancy lights! I spent a half-hour in my car looking at the manual to figure out what the green light under the gas gauge means. (It means the car is ready to be driven, FYI.)
Bigmura likes this.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 10:56 PM

kprenesti, what dealer did you buy from? I got mine at Ed Voyles Kia in Chamblee. I'm happy with them overall!
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprenesti View Post
I live in GA too. Mine does the same thing. I hadn't noticed the battery gauge particularly low at all in the AM. (I'll have to notice later.) And I know what you mean by all the new fancy lights! I spent a half-hour in my car looking at the manual to figure out what the green light under the gas gauge means. (It means the car is ready to be driven, FYI.)
Do you turn on AC or heat in Georgia in the morning? That will start the engine (may be a short delay).
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 10:38 AM

No nothing! Not even the radio!
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 05:04 PM

I think whether or not the ICE starts when you first turn it on the morning depends on the state of charge when you put it to bed. If the battery is well charged when you turned it off, it may not have the ICE come on when you wake it up....however if the battery is tired when you turned it off, it will want to charge it right away when you wake it up.
That's how I figure it anyway.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 02:27 AM

The Niro will typically start up after being parked overnight, no matter the battery charge level. This is simply to warm up the gas engine. I usually drive mine a couple blocks. Then, the Niro has warmed up and gone into EV mode. However, the Niro may rely more on the gas engine, if the heat, ac, or defrosters are on.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 06:36 PM

On the Ford Fusion Hybrid forum, there was someone that figured out how to view OBDEC 2 codes and saw that even though the dash monitor showed near 100% charge, the actual charge was closer to 80%.

I think that is "normal" for these batteries.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 10:55 PM

Kia has stated that "max" battery charge is 80%, even if your battery icons (both) show FULL, it's 80%, and it's designed to NOT discharge lower than 40%,,,, this range extends battery life to the 10-15 year mark. Also, max charging to 80% leave room in case you were getting a LOT of regenerative braking charging, say from coasting/light braking down a long mountain down slope........... if you remember all those Samsung cell phones with exploding batteries a year or two ago, the Samsung firmware upgrade to fix that problem was to only allow the battery to charge to 80%. Since learning all this, I have stopped topping off /charging all our phones to 100% and let them drain down to 30-40% and charge back up to 80-85%............I'm finding much better battery performance............... must be the "sweet spot" in charging/discharging and battery maintenance.
Scrutch76 and Karens1stHybrid like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page