Battery Charge 50% -- KIA Response - Page 3 - Kia Niro Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 10:06 AM

I don't believe the Niro battery charge indicator has anything to do with a 100% capacity range. Rather, it is likely indicating a charge of one third at the bottom end of the scale, and two thirds (perhaps 80%) at the top of the scale. Niro has aggressive battery management to restrict charge in the middle third of capacity to increase longevity of the battery.

On the virtually identical Hyundai Ioniq drivetrain, but with a different user indicator system it shows charge almost invariably kept within that range. The ICE will fire up if it drops below that range. There is one scenario that has been reported where you can fully charge the battery, and that is on a long extended downhill where regenerative braking is active. Even there, if the battery charge level gets too high, the ICE will spin up for compression braking so the battery doesn't overcharge.

There are lots of posts on Ioniq forums from puzzled new Ioniq owners wondering why the battery is never charged fully, because of the way their indicator works. You can get some more accurate depiction from OBD2 tools but I'm not sure how that benefits hybrid owners. EV owners for sure. I was watching a Tesla Model 3 drive (review) last night, and they discussed different setting of the battery management software for different driving conditions. Obviously, on a long road trip, you want full use of the maximum battery capacity and charge fully before leaving and at superchargers. Twenty to fifty miles a day around town and you have no reason to do this. You'd rather ensure maximum battery life by keeping it in the sweet spot for the chemistry of the batteries you are using, usually somewhere between 40 and 80 percent for most lithium battery variations.
safari likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:57 AM

My launches are always electric. IMHO, designed this way to be smoother but perhaps more importantly, to minimize clutch slippage wear when starting from standstill on DCT.
safari likes this.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 12:13 PM

That would be great if Kia really did force electric launches. Before I bought the car, I had thought it didn't bother with a low gear in the transmission for that very reason. But many starts almost instantly engage the ICE. Most any stop on a slight incline where you want to go a bit faster than creep to not annoy traffic behind you (usually at a city stoplight) - especially when the battery is below half full (according to the display). The car senses the immediate power needs (which are greatly increase on an incline stop) and applies the ICE. Starting cold from home on my flat street, although the ICE starts to warm the engine, it goes three blocks on EV before engaging the ICE (however this can vary depending on SOV and how deep I press the pedal).
safari likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:24 PM

That's one thing I really liked about my Ford C-Max. It almost always launched on full battery and when within 1k of your home and other regularly visited locations it would force EV mode. However over the 20k I out on it the lifetime average was 42-43 mpg, so something wasn't as efficient as my Niro Touring during it's run. It's probly too soon to do a real world comparo. LOL I know at least a couple of Prius drivers that only get low 30's and the way you see a lot of them drive on our Freeways you know why.

2018 Niro Touring "Rich Espresso"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:41 PM

Probably not to difficult to get Gen 1 Prius to low 30's with fast highway driving. Pretty hard with the Gen 4 I think. Huge jump on Fuelly with Gen 4.

Fuelly doesn't break out trim on the Niro, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bell curve on the Touring is also low 40's. Heck, Fuelly's average for all Niros is about 45. Still above the Cmax 40 mpg per Fuelly. Large variation from driver to driver, but I'm hoping for an annual average above 50 on my LX. At 47 mpg now after 4,000 miles of mostly very cold and fast highway driving. So warm now that I'm prioritizing my motorcycle, whose four year average is 86 mpg.

post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Probably not to difficult to get Gen 1 Prius to low 30's with fast highway driving. Pretty hard with the Gen 4 I think. Huge jump on Fuelly with Gen 4.

Fuelly doesn't break out trim on the Niro, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bell curve on the Touring is also low 40's. Heck, Fuelly's average for all Niros is about 45. Still above the Cmax 40 mpg per Fuelly. Large variation from driver to driver, but I'm hoping for an annual average above 50 on my LX. At 47 mpg now after 4,000 miles of mostly very cold and fast highway driving. So warm now that I'm prioritizing my motorcycle, whose four year average is 86 mpg.
My Niro and my Harley both get about 45...
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:25 PM

Oops, I wrote that number reversed. My Honda NC700X gets 68 mpg lifetime average. Still significantly better than I can expect from the Niro, plus it is much faster. Easily 10 minutes faster on a common 20 mile run with lots of hybrids going slowly to pass on a two lane. As might be expected, I'm driving the Niro slower than my last car.

post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
My Niro and my Harley both get about 45...
So mpg doesn't choose your choice of daily ride. Cool. I look at the weather forecast a lot. But I don't drive or ride for fun, just to get somewhere, ideally with at least two things to do on the trip.

post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
So mpg doesn't choose your choice of daily ride. Cool. I look at the weather forecast a lot. But I don't drive or ride for fun, just to get somewhere, ideally with at least two things to do on the trip.
Yea, right now the 6 miles of milled asphalt is dictating that I don't ride the Harley. That sucks!
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddarrah View Post
Kia has stated that "max" battery charge is 80%, even if your battery icons (both) show FULL, it's 80%, and it's designed to NOT discharge lower than 40%,,,, this range extends battery life to the 10-15 year mark. Also, max charging to 80% leave room in case you were getting a LOT of regenerative braking charging, say from coasting/light braking down a long mountain down slope........... if you remember all those Samsung cell phones with exploding batteries a year or two ago, the Samsung firmware upgrade to fix that problem was to only allow the battery to charge to 80%. Since learning all this, I have stopped topping off /charging all our phones to 100% and let them drain down to 30-40% and charge back up to 80-85%............I'm finding much better battery performance............... must be the "sweet spot" in charging/discharging and battery maintenance.
do you have a link to Kia for this?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page