Battery Charge 50% -- KIA Response - Page 4 - Kia Niro Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
do you have a link to Kia for this?

No I do not. It has been covered in several other threads last year where several people called Kia to question this exact issue and each person was given that response. It makes sense. It not only prolongs battery life, but if you remember the HUGE issue two years ago with the particular Samsung phone model that was experiencing exploding batteries (was it the Note 7???? not sure) anyway this particular model was and still is I believe banned from airlines........... the firmware fix that Samsung rolled out to fix this issue was that they limited MAX battery charge to 80%, so I guess you could see that even small lithium ion devices are being seen to benefit from NOT overcharging......... most exploding vape mods/devices/e-cigs have resulted in explosions from over charging...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddarrah View Post
No I do not. It has been covered in several other threads last year where several people called Kia to question this exact issue and each person was given that response. It makes sense. It not only prolongs battery life, but if you remember the HUGE issue two years ago with the particular Samsung phone model that was experiencing exploding batteries (was it the Note 7???? not sure) anyway this particular model was and still is I believe banned from airlines........... the firmware fix that Samsung rolled out to fix this issue was that they limited MAX battery charge to 80%, so I guess you could see that even small lithium ion devices are being seen to benefit from NOT overcharging......... most exploding vape mods/devices/e-cigs have resulted in explosions from over charging...........
yes, it makes sense and I hope it's true.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 11:38 AM

I am assuming this thread is talking about the Hybrid Battery and not the Plug-in Hybrid. As far as the Hybrid Battery is concerned. I was worried about the car's battery not filling up to 100% even though I am driving to charge the battery (lots of pedal release and braking). But with my experience with batteries starting with remote controls (NiCad, Lithium Ion, etc.) ... batteries are ideally staying around 40-80% even when not in use. That's how the battery life gets longer.
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 12:11 PM

If anybody has moved to a Niro from a Prius you will notice the hybrid battery indicator moves around a LOT LESS than you might be used to seeing in a Prius so don't be alarmed about that.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 10:06 AM

I was at the dealer for a road noise issue and was informed a computer updatecwasvavailable for my battery that would improve mileage. So maybe that was why she said to make an appointment. The mileage increased by 5 mpg with my aggressive driving habits. Averaging 44 mpg now. But thank you for the battery charge info as I was curious too.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 12:10 PM

Interesting. Most are saying no noticeable difference after the battery update. Of course, not so many hybrid owners drive aggressively.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page