Battery Charge 50% -- KIA Response - Kia Niro Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Battery Charge 50% -- KIA Response

I was concerned that my battery charge says around 50% +/- a little. Wondered if the battery or charge system had a defect.

I called KIA Customer Service and was very pleased with the support I received.

The first lady I contacted could not find the answer and suggested she do some research and call me back, said it might take a couple days to get an answer.

It did take a couple days, she called today when I was not home. She left a phone number and "Case Number" with my wife.

I called and received a new lady that looked up the case number and tried to put me in touch with the first lady. She could not, so she gave me the results of their finding. They had contacted the Platform Engineers and the answer was: It is designed to stay around 50% charge -- may see from 45% to 75%.

It so happened the second lady had a KIA Optima Hybrid and had the same question about her battery (she had even lower charge in 40% range). She was told it was normal by her dealer.

By The Way -- I did see 75% on a short trip (80 miles of local driving) when there was a long moderate downhill section coming out of Smoky Mtn National park into Gatlinburg. However, it rapidly dropped back to 50% range when I started needed to use the accelerator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 05:38 PM

Kia engineer told me this week that the battery is designed to stay charged at 40-70%. Lengthens battery life. Always something new to learn.
lrpavlo likes this.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 07:44 PM

I'm always at around that range, when I do a long downhill it fill up to about 75%.
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 04:59 PM
Jay

That's pretty typical SoC for a hybrid. Max battery life for lithium-ion chemistry is 40-70% charge as 2013 Passat points out. Also, the charging system has to leave room for regenerative braking. My sister's hybrid Sonata reached full charge on a 6 mi steep downhill coast, but that SoC is unusual.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

I did call them again today as found a MSG on our phone about seeing dealer from the First lady I had talked to. That turned out to be a false alarm (I guess as I did not talk to her today).

The guy I talked to said she sent that MSG on FEB 23 (we did not see it). Then she called again on Feb 24 when I was not home and gave my wife a MSG to call and present case number -- I did afternoon of 24th and that is when I got the MSG from the Second Lady that design goal is operate around 50% (see 40% to 70 some %).

The guy today confirmed from the case file that 50% is the design goal (etc.) and to ignore the earlier call about seeing dealer.

THEY REALLY SHOULD PUT A NOTE in the operating manual or someplace to address that as it makes you concerned to see a battery not fully charged.

ALL THAT SAID, I would like to talk the the First Lady and ask her why she sent a MSG to call back and set up a dealer appointment.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:05 PM

This thread eases my mind. I was a little concerned as well but it's good to know that's normal. Thanks!
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd2017 View Post
This thread eases my mind. I was a little concerned as well but it's good to know that's normal. Thanks!
Glad someone got some use from the thread (Info).
Rick B likes this.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:41 AM

2 questions that are sort of related:

1. How long is the battery supposed to last? The factory warranty covers it for....is it 6 years? I sure hope I won't need a new battery after just 6 years....!?

2. When I start driving in the morning ,the car starts on battery (so quiet!) but then the motor starts pretty quickly after that....within a minute. WHy is that...is the battery already needing a charge? This surprised me the first couple times. It doesn't seem to do that during the day when it's been driving around. But does sitting for 10 hours mean the battery already needs to charge?

Thanks!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:22 PM

The battery is warranted for 60,000 miles.

The engine will start under several conditions in the morning:

1. Battery is depleted. Check the battery level meter before you get going in the morning and after you quit for the night. If it routinely drops every night, that is not normal and should be checked. However, if you live on a long hill with a level part where you live, it is possible the battery is depleted from climbing the hill. That would be OK.

2. You are asking climate control for heat.

3. It is really cold and the battery needs to warm up.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:18 AM

Hmmm....thanks Yticolev. No long hill, no cold weather here in Georgia. I'm not sure where the battery level is on the display...still getting used to all the visuals inside. (I'm used to just the basics....speedometer, odometer, fuel gauge, etc.
I feel like I'm manning a space station control panel or something....but I'm learning!)
safari likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page