Maintenace Items like Oil Change Procedures -- Searching for INFO - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bwhit --- That's what we need.

I have not looked under the car yet. Probably let dealer do the first one as it's FREE. Reckon I can do it now especially with your pictures.

Did get a bit lost on pictures starting with the 10MM is that the oil drain plug location.

Also, wonder what type oil filter wrench it takes to get Oil Filter off. I will go back and look again and look under car.

Thanks again.

Last edited by PAULRIDES; 05-24-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 09:43 PM

The 10 mm socket is for removing two covers under the car...both are in a easy to reach location. One cover is for the filter with 3 bolts....the 2nd is for the drain plug with two bolts

The oil filter wrench was just used because it was on so tight...
the style I used can be found if you do an amazon search for oil filter wrench, ($5)
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 11:20 PM

Bwit- thanks for the pics on oil change. I looked at an owners manual, and don't recall it requiring synthetic oil. From what I recall,the choices were 0w-20, or 5w-30. Are you using synthetic by choice,or does the manual require it?
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 05:40 AM

Thats what my kia dealership told me... and Im pretty sure any oil that is a 0W will be synthetic
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

I have never used Synthetic Oil on anything (cars, trucks, or motorcycles). Hey, I am not saying don't use Synthetic as it apparently has a lot better properties than dinosaur oil.

Just saying, I never have and never had a failure with regular oil.

Been using Castrol for years and use Valvoline for MCs. MC oil has less additives as wet clutches can get messed up with slippery oil. And, WALMART sells Valvoline MC oil for like $3.89 compared to MC Dealers at $6 plus.
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 10:41 AM
Jay

Kind of disappointed to see that 5 10mm bolts have to be removed to get the aero covers out of the way. With a little thought, the covers could have been 1/4 turn twist off with no tools. The bolts are not user friendly IMO.
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 11:27 AM

There is a discrepancy here. The manual that came with my Niro (purchased in February) is DIFFERENT than any I've found online with respect to maintenance schedule. The online manual (official KIA NIRO manual, btw) shows a 10k mile interval (15000km). The glovebox manual - 7500 miles.
My local Kia dealership had no idea why the difference. Gas powered KIAs have the same 7500 mile interval.
I'm inclined to go with the WORLD view - especially since our gas engines do not get as much use a a traditional car.
Unfortunately, I got snookered into an oil change at 7500, thinking I had it wrong. But the dealership says with full-synthetic, I can indeed go 10k between changes. AND, the online manual say the SA is 0 or 5 to 30. They put in 0/20.
Anyone have any clarification on this?
Dovidan likes this.
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 06:46 PM

The online manual you are referencing is likely from another country assuming you're in the USA. In the UK, normal service is required on the Niro every 10,000 miles or every 12 months for the service required in the USA of every 7,500 miles or every 6 months. See reference below. When I was first going to purchase the car I knew the service interval in the UK and was glad I'd only need to service it every year, and was surprised when the service interval was different in the USA. I have no idea why the difference exists however. I would follow the requirement of w/e country you are from since not servicing it within those times can affect your warranty.

http://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcms...vals-V1602.pdf

I got an oil change to full synthetic they put 0w20. USA Manual says "0W-20 API SN or ACEA C2".
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 10:54 AM

I just had my First service done it's 6 months old and have 4770 miles on it was told 5k or 6 months im in Florida ..was told
if i do my own service it could justify my warranty and if i have a mom & pop shop do a service they need to use a OEM oil filter with recipt of service.

Any of you doing your service your self are taking a chance..
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 03:09 PM

I had my first service free but since I wanted full synthetic they charged me $18. So the service with tire rotation is only about 30-50 I think with blend. And it takes about 40-60 minutes. Although I had to wait an additional 40 minutes since they did not have full synthetic in stock. I think the dealer is worth it since they will also check for any recalls or updates needed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page