Total Battery Drain if car isn't used? - Kia Niro Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Total Battery Drain if car isn't used?

On Cobb County Kia, I read the following review and I wonder if anyone has any more information to clarify or deny the claims in this review? Is it true that there's a minimum drive time required just to make the car work?? What if I go on vacation and my car is sitting in my garage for a week or two? Would it be dead when I return? What then? If this is true, my heart breaks, because the deal breaks.

Flawed operational system in Niro

written on 03/15/2017
Janet F
On 2/27/17 I bought a KIA Niro Touring. On 3/6/17 it wouldn't start and needed to be towed. Kia service told me the car was normal but I needed to drive it more to keep the battery charged. This does not seem to be a problem with my particular vehicle, rather a design choice KIA made. I use the car daily for my work commute, errands, etc. though apparently this usage is not adequate to have a reliable operating vehicle. Kia does not inform the public the vehicle will not operate unless it has a minimum daily usage time. I bought the car assuming I could use it like any car. As much as I like the idea of an eco-friendly vehicle, I take exception to the concept that it must be driven extra time than my needs dictate to keep the battery charged. The service provider suggested I keep the engine running for 20-40 minutes but can just leave the car locked because of the smart key. This does not sound smart to me. I spoke directly with Kia Motors regarding my situation and they stand by their vehicle saying it is normal and the only problem is I am not driving it enough to keep the battery charged. They advised me to drive more. I would not like others to find themselves in my unfortunate situation. Please be mindful before making a purchase.
mmathras likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

HA! Nevermind! Same person posts here, apparently! (Can't post a link to the thread, but trust me, this is a duplicate.)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:22 AM

Minimum drive time

I sure hope all this talk about minimum driving needed to keep the battery charged isn't true for the Niro. I just traded in a 4 year old C-Max on the Niro. The C-Max spent numerous 20-26 day "vacations" at an airport parking lot. After returning, the car started with no problem.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:59 PM

That's what I don't get. It really doesn't make sense. I have a 2002 honda civic sitting on my driveway literally doing nothing. I can't remember the last time I drove that thing. But leave it for 2 weeks, get in there, and it'll start right up with no issues. Leave it on for like 15 minutes and put her back down.

A new car should not have these issues.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:27 AM

After sitting untouched for two weeks, mine showed no discernible decrease in battery charge.
extech67 likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 12:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to lccobb
There is a battery drain cut off that will prevent the battery from being drained to a point that it will not start. If that happens there is a battery reset switch which activates the battery so that the car can be started and bring the battery back to an acceptable point of charge.
basicbill, eburckha and KK6PD like this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 01:59 PM

I will point to page H14 of the 2017 Niro Owners Manual that states " If you park the vehicle for a long time, the hybrid system will discharge. You need to drive the vehicle several times per month to maintain a charge.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 06:54 PM

I just saw this post on a UK Niro forum - " As soon as you turn the ignition on, the LiJon-battery charges the 12V-battery if it needs it. This happens even if the car is stationary and the petrol engine is off.

The American version of Niro has a button to boost the 12V-battery if itīs too week to run the starting procedures and that charge comes from the LiJon-battery - without the petrol engine running. "
extech67, eburckha and Dovidan like this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 06:21 PM

But it shouldn't completely discharge if you let it sit for a week or two. If worse comes to worse, give your keys to a trusted family member and ask them to drive it now and then.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie View Post
After sitting untouched for two weeks, mine showed no discernible decrease in battery charge.
After sitting untouched for another period (this time five weeks), no discernible decrease in charge.
Bigmura likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page