Current Gen 2 Volt owner looking for a replacement - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Current Gen 2 Volt owner looking for a replacement

I replaced my 2012 Sportage with the 2016 Chevy volt. I like the Volt but there are a few issues that are a concern. Probably the biggest is reliability. According to Consumers Report annual ratings the 2016 Volt is on their do not buy list & so it will lessen my potential trade-in private sale.
There is a "chugle" problem that still is prevalent in the 2017. What's "Chugle"? It's when your in ICE [internal combustion engine] & it acts similar to engine misfire. It's slight, not all the time, but annoying especially where GM/Chevy/Volt hasn't fixed the problem. They did have an engine misfire recall, but that didn't fix the issue. There are other reliability issues that I haven't experienced, but discussed on the Volt forum [& reported to Volt] & obviously reported to the annual Consumer Reports survey. For me, it's just a compact car and I miss a CUV.
My interest is the Niro PHYB. I've looked at the internal/external measurements comparison between the Niro & Bolt, Sportage, Volt, & other CUV's. Pretty much the same +/- an inch or 2.
I'm pretty sure there is a significant difference between a Hybrid & Plugin. It's not just batteries [which is a big deal], but all over configuration of motors [unless a "simpler" configuration is employed], and software, bringing it all together.
So I'm curious what members think about the prospect of the Niro plugin and how it will function. Will it compete with the Volt the only current EREV [extended range electric vehicle]? A plugin Sportage would be nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myronbg View Post
I like the Volt but there are a few issues that are a concern. Probably the biggest is reliability. According to Consumers Report annual ratings the 2016 Volt is on their do not buy list & so it will lessen my potential trade-in private sale.

For me, it's just a compact car and I miss a CUV.

So I'm curious what members think about the prospect of the Niro plugin and how it will function. Will it compete with the Volt the only current EREV [extended range electric vehicle]? A plugin Sportage would be nice!
The Chevy Volt has a MUCH longer pure EV Range BUT on the flip side, it's fuel economy when operating in Hybrid Mode, after the main battery is depleted, is nowhere near the mileage achieved by the Plug-In Niro when it is operating in hybrid mode. While I don't consider the Chevy Volt's styling quirky as say compared to a Toyota Prius, I do find the Niro's design more appealing and the interior is, shall we say, upscale and normal.

As far as utility goes, there is NO comparison. The Niro wins hands down because of it's layout. I was also surprised to see that there is NO option to get a Power Driver's Seat in a Chevy Volt at any price, let alone the 2 driver "Memory Seating Option" available in higher end Niro's. That aspect alone ruled the Volt out for me and my wife. We are built totally differently and it is so nice to just hop in, press the memory button and have seats/mirrors adjust exactly to our preset preferences. It's also great that the seats move rearward when the Niro is shut off to allow easier exit from the vehicle.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page