Lunge / Jump / push forward when driving slow - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 05:45 PM

I pull into my garage slowly as it's a tight fit and yes, sometimes I need to stop and adjust and when you start up again it's almost like it wants to accelerate when all I want is a crawl.. Now that I know how it behaves, I've got it down, but coming from a Chevy with a known lag and take up experience, it took a bit to realize how it likes to move from a stop and adjust my driving to make use of it.
realto likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 07:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to lccobb
I LOVE the car. I traded in a Cadillac XRS and would say that I am more pleased with driving the Niro that the SRX. The small lunge is not a problem, just a very small feeling of acceleration. I had never driven a hybrid until I did the trade and ordered a Niro Touring with the Performance package and they gave me an Optima Hybrid to drive for 6 weeks until my Niro arrived. now have 1700 miles and am loving it.
Jay likes this.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 06:12 PM

Yes (buyer's remorse). 3 month old Niro with 4500 miles. Experiencing engine stuttering at all speeds, only in gas mode, and once lost all acceleration power altogether. See JosephO's post in General Discussion, for engine misfire that does not trigger the Check Engine light. Going back to the dealer for the 2nd time this Friday... 1st time was "inconclusive" as the symptons were not bad enough (on a warm engine) for the tech to discern.
eburckha likes this.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 11:37 PM

I have the Niro Touring. I love it. Handles well, milage lives up to the ads, every creature comfort you could want, and all for a reasonable price. I don't notice the surge, or at least its not a really big surge - it more or less happens when the engine changes from electric to gas at slower speeds.
Scrutch76 likes this.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 06:25 PM

I traded in my 2014 Optima EX and I am totally satisfied with my Niro Touring Advanced. The surge thing is not a problem, you just need to be aware of it!

Charlie
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 10:34 AM

I am having the very same stuttering problem on our Niro--now with over 6100 miles on it. Brought the car in a month ago for diagnosis...but the local Kia service department could do nothing about the issue with no error codes coming up. Taking it back this coming Saturday for its first scheduled maintenance AND a second check into the stuttering problem. It almost feels like a cylinder is misfiring or perhaps an issue when waffling between EV and gas modes.
eburckha likes this.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 11:15 AM

So far, haven't experienced any "surging/lunging" as described above. i love my Niro!
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 08:55 AM

Discussed this surging, jerking, etc. with my son who recently bought a Sonata and has been on that FORUM. He got a buy on a slightly used 2016 from a dealer (I think like $24,000 - list is like $37,000 on new one like his top of line model full moon roof, etc.). I COULD BE OFF ON THOSE NUMBERS, going from memory.

On the Sonata FORUM - There is talk about an extra Charcoal Filter (along with the paper air filter) and removing that helped with acceleration and smooth operation.

He sent this:

On the hyundai the second air filter is inside the cover you remove to get to bigger main one. It is charcoal pre filter for possibly capturing oil particles from crankcase before they hit the paper filter. Everyone on Sonata forum says better acceleration and no jerkiness.
eburckha likes this.

Last edited by PAULRIDES; 08-12-2017 at 08:58 AM.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULRIDES View Post
Discussed this surging, jerking, etc. with my son who recently bought a Sonata and has been on that FORUM. He got a buy on a slightly used 2016 from a dealer (I think like $24,000 - list is like $37,000 on new one like his top of line model full moon roof, etc.). I COULD BE OFF ON THOSE NUMBERS, going from memory.

On the Sonata FORUM - There is talk about an extra Charcoal Filter (along with the paper air filter) and removing that helped with acceleration and smooth operation.

He sent this:

On the hyundai the second air filter is inside the cover you remove to get to bigger main one. It is charcoal pre filter for possibly capturing oil particles from crankcase before they hit the paper filter. Everyone on Sonata forum says better acceleration and no jerkiness.
Interesting fix. Would be cool to have this be the solution to everyone that has this problem on the Niro.
eburckha likes this.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 10:14 PM

I think we're discussing two completely separate problems in this thread.

From what I've been reading the first is a "misfire" or "surging/lack of power" at speed. I'm guessing that they've had a few issues with the ignition systems on these. Luckily I haven't had any problems yet with that.

The second issue is a "surge" or "quick acceleration" at very slow speeds... we're talking like under 2MPH here. This is something I experience very regularly and I'm fairly convinced it's a programming "glitch" that will hopefully get corrected in a computer update in the near future.

I notice it most when doing a "rolling stop" maneuver.. like at a stop sign or of a car in front of me decides to start going right as I'm coming to a stop. I get down to almost a creep (under 2mph maybe even slower) and even if I take my foot off the brake pedal it still continues to come to a stop. The second it stops moving it will then accelerate a bit if your foot is not on the brake... nothing dramatic but it can really catch you off guard if you're not expecting it! It's almost as if the computer is convinced that you want to come to a complete stop and there's nothing you can do to change its mind. Seems very strange.

I experience this equally in both normal AND sport mode.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page