Lunge / Jump / push forward when driving slow - Kia Niro Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Question Lunge / Jump / push forward when driving slow

Has anyone else noticed that when you sometimes slow down at a traffic light or are driving very slow into a parking space the car sort of "lunges forward" It's like the engine just gets a little boost but it's enough to scare you. I know that when the brake is pressed in far enough the transmission goes into neutral to save on gas...when you release the engine puts itself into drive again. I feel like it's doing it a little too early, before I have my foot totally off the brake. Does this make sense to anyone else?
smck likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMench View Post
Has anyone else noticed that when you sometimes slow down at a traffic light or are driving very slow into a parking space the car sort of "lunges forward" It's like the engine just gets a little boost but it's enough to scare you. I know that when the brake is pressed in far enough the transmission goes into neutral to save on gas...when you release the engine puts itself into drive again. I feel like it's doing it a little too early, before I have my foot totally off the brake. Does this make sense to anyone else?
This happens to me too. It like jerks especially at stop signs and when driving into my garage. I speculate it might have something to do with the hill assist thing. If you accelerate a second or two after stopping it doesn't do it, but within less time it does. This is one thing I don't like with the car.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 05:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to KeriD
Yes mine does this.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

I'm assuming that is a normal thing but I'm hoping that when they have a firmware update for the engine/drive train that this gets addressed...I've almost hit a curb or two when this happened.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 06:41 PM

Now that you mention it --- like when pulling into the garage slowly, say stop and go, I do notice quick acceleration when Imlet the brake off or maybe when I touch the gas.

Maybe it's the torque from a electric motor vs if you are use to gas engine only.

I don't consider it a problem, just take it easy when making slow maneuvers.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 10:03 PM

Still deciding on whether to purchase a Niro Touring and I am concerned with this "surge" issue. Especially because multiple Owners are talking about it. As a current Optima owner with 262,000 miles and still running strong I want to make sure it is the right choice. My question is, does anyone out there have any seconds thought or buyers remorse about the purchase of the Niro? All I hear from a positive standpoint is the terrific mileage you are getting, but forget about it being a Hybrid and the mileage, but do you love the car so far? This would be my 5th Kia and just like some feedback.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIA4X View Post
Still deciding on whether to purchase a Niro Touring and I am concerned with this "surge" issue. Especially because multiple Owners are talking about it. As a current Optima owner with 262,000 miles and still running strong I want to make sure it is the right choice. My question is, does anyone out there have any seconds thought or buyers remorse about the purchase of the Niro? All I hear from a positive standpoint is the terrific mileage you are getting, but forget about it being a Hybrid and the mileage, but do you love the car so far? This would be my 5th Kia and just like some feedback.
I've only had my Niro Touring for a week and just over 700 miles but I have zero regrets at this point. It's the exact type of vehicle I was looking for. I gave my 2012 Optima EX to my daughter. While I really enjoyed the Optima, I was wanting a vehicle with a higher sitting position and better MPG. The Niro fits all those things for me.

I have noticed the "surge" thing but it is really minor and only when pulling into a driveway or parking spot. It's a non-issue for me at this point.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 03:44 PM

I don't own a Niro (yet?) but I road tested one recently.
In my opinion, the surge described is typical of the dual clutch transmission.
I have the same type of transmission in my current car (VW).
If you are used to conventional transmissions (I.E. with a torque converter) or a CVT, a dual clutch will never be as smooth and seamless, especially at low speeds.
It's just the nature of the beast.
Keep in mind that by design, it's a manual transmission. So like a manual (even with a good driver), it can be jerky.
lrpavlo and extech67 like this.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 09:40 PM

I think @fernando might have nailed it with the suggestion that the lunging behaviour may be related to hill assist. The delay I see between taking my foot off the brake pedal and the abrupt "lunge" seems to be the same as when hill assist releases the brake. So the behaviour is pretty much what you'd expect if the hill assist feature kicked in on a level surface!

2017 Niro SX Touring
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 11:12 AM
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvtr View Post
I don't own a Niro (yet?) but I road tested one recently.
In my opinion, the surge described is typical of the dual clutch transmission.
I have the same type of transmission in my current car (VW).
If you are used to conventional transmissions (I.E. with a torque converter) or a CVT, a dual clutch will never be as smooth and seamless, especially at low speeds.
It's just the nature of the beast.
Keep in mind that by design, it's a manual transmission. So like a manual (even with a good driver), it can be jerky.
With a conventional drive train, the clutch of a DCT has to do torque multiplication to get the car underway. Sometimes this is not too smooth with some DCT implementations. But with a P2 hybrid system (such as Ioniq and Hyundai) the electric motor always gets the car underway. The DCT clutches do not do torque multiplication. A smooth, torquey electric motor handles all low speed duty and getting the car underway. The hybrid drivetrain engineers wanted to simulate the stall speed of a conventional hydraulic torque converter to make the car seem more normal to those used to a conventional torque converter auto. The simulation, evidently, needs more work. I didn't notice this problem with my test drive of the Ioniq or Niro, but some owners of both complain about the abruptness of electric motor power just after releasing the brake.
realto and eburckha like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page