THREAD to POST Lunge/Surge?Jerk for Those That Have It - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MizAndie4245

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

THREAD to POST Lunge/Surge?Jerk for Those That Have It

Seems a lot of this Lung, Surge, Jerk, whatever you call it scattered around the different posts.

Be nice to have those consolidated into one post.

Better (I think) if not a lot of other comments regarding -- don't have a problem, etc. Apparently some problems are very severe, and some are minor.

My Input (considered minor so far, might be just the nature of a Dual Clutch Transmission operation).

I am pretty sure I feel it some, but very slight amount and so far not considered a problem. That is at near 6000 miles over just short of 6 months.

It is hard to describe what I feel (just not a smooth going down the road - call it whatever).

It is not all the time. I might say seems more when have not driven very far and around 40MPH. I would say either mode EV or ICE mode. Don't hold me to any of that as to when I feel it - I just can't say definitely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 09:00 AM

Hi PAULRIDES,
As I reported in one of the other threads, I have it with my car (EX model). I have no idea what it is but as time goes on, it seems like it's gotten worse. I felt it mildly when I noticed it and now it's more violent. I have no idea what it is and it happens only in gas mode. There are times when I try to give it more gas when it's stuttering, and it almost feels unresponsive, but that may just be my paranoia.

Additionally, my mother's Touring model does it too.

Your theory about the dual clutch operation makes sense and at times, I've thought that maybe it could be that but I'm no mechanic, so I have no idea.
extech67 likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 12:09 PM

I'd be interested to know if it happens in sport mode, or if it helps to go in manual shift mode.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myronbg View Post
I'd be interested to know if it happens in sport mode, or if it helps to go in manual shift mode.
I'm pretty sure it happens in Sport Mode as I shifted to Sport one day when feeling it. Sometimes I am not sure I am feeling anything, but guess there is something (it is just not smooth operation when it is doing it).

My wife noticed it one day a s passenger when we were on a flat newly paved road say likely about 50 MPH. That was not too many miles after we bought the car.

I just hoped this Thread would not get too long with trying to analyze it, guess normal that it would :-).

I just hoped to see how many are feeling that something is not right without having to go thru long reads (and here I am making one).

Obviously, if it is very bad one would notice and DANG sure go back to KIA (start at dealer I guess). I asked Dealer Service Manager at Oil Change about where to report my minor problem (I think and hope Minor). He suggested KIA Customer Service.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

A number of these problems (surging, stuttering, etc.) reported in the post (link below) that was the first major issue and what the owner went thru. Eventually after 20 some days, he got a new car as Kia could not figure what was wrong with his.

It takes a lot of reading to get thru it as there are many post replies with questions, mine is OK, mine does it some, etc.

I had hoped might condense some of the problems to brief statements about how many have had minor or major issues in this thread. Guess that will not happen for various reasons.

https://www.kianiroforum.com/forum/22...2089-help.html
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Discussed this surging, jerking, etc. with my son who recently bought a Sonata and has been on that FORUM. He got a buy on a slightly used 2016 from a dealer (I think like $24,000 - list is like $37,000 on new one like his top of line model full moon roof, etc.). I COULD BE OFF ON THOSE NUMBERS, going from memory.

On the Sonata FORUM - There is talk about an extra Charcoal Filter (along with the paper air filter) and removing that helped with acceleration and smooth operation.

He sent this:

On the hyundai the second air filter is inside the cover you remove to get to bigger main one. It is charcoal pre filter for possibly capturing oil particles from crankcase before they hit the paper filter. Everyone on Sonata forum says better acceleration and no jerkiness.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 09:16 AM

I really like the idea of consolidating this issue in one post. So I would like those that have posted this elsewhere, post here. Don't worry about being repetitive.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULRIDES View Post
Discussed this surging, jerking, etc. with my son who recently bought a Sonata and has been on that FORUM. He got a buy on a slightly used 2016 from a dealer (I think like $24,000 - list is like $37,000 on new one like his top of line model full moon roof, etc.). I COULD BE OFF ON THOSE NUMBERS, going from memory.

On the Sonata FORUM - There is talk about an extra Charcoal Filter (along with the paper air filter) and removing that helped with acceleration and smooth operation.

He sent this:

On the hyundai the second air filter is inside the cover you remove to get to bigger main one. It is charcoal pre filter for possibly capturing oil particles from crankcase before they hit the paper filter. Everyone on Sonata forum says better acceleration and no jerkiness.
Interesting fix. Would be great if this fixed this issue across the board.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULRIDES View Post

He sent this:

Paul....can you post a link to the Sonata Forum your son is on?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page