Accelerator not working - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By dveldh

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Accelerator not working

Okay, this is weird. Check engine light came on on the way home early this week. Conditions were temps in the 9-15 degree range, occasional slushy roads, some buildup by the tires. We had a minor snowstorm this week. It didn't have any issues during the drive, so was able to get it home, no problem. We had to leave town, so we just took the truck on the road. This morning, I decided to see if a wash (to get the buildup cleaned off) and gas refill would help reset the light. Started fine, backed up in idle, but as soon as I touched the accelerator, dead stop, with the motor still running fine. Forward, same thing. Has anyone else seen this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 06:34 PM

I rolled back in neutral once and forgot to put it in D and wondered why the car wasn't moving. I figured it out but it shocked me for a second. This probably isn't what you experienced, but just thought I'd share my experience.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 09:35 AM

Electronics (I assume it's all electronic now) - anything can happen. Kind of think old mechanical linkage was more reliable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 01:57 PM

That's weird. Did you bring it to mechanic already? If yes, what did he say?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 10:20 AM

Sounds like me hen I sometimes shift it to neutral after backing out, but if it was in drive and suddenly stopped, you should probably bring it in to the dealership.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Waiting on dealership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Run View Post
That's weird. Did you bring it to mechanic already? If yes, what did he say?
Called customer service, and got transferred to roadside assistance. The tow truck picked it up within a couple hours to haul it to the dealership. Hopefully we find out today just what's going on with it. Rather disappointed as it's only three months old with about 2,400 miles on it.

Last edited by dveldh; 12-11-2017 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Missed a word
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dveldh View Post
Called customer service, and got transferred to roadside assistance. The tow truck picked it up within a couple hours to haul it to the dealership. Hopefully we find out today just what's going on with it. Rather disappointed as it's only three months old with about 2,400 miles on it.
Did you get a chance to see how the tow truck operator hooked it up and how they were towing it? Improper towing can cause issues down the road if not immediately and not all tow operators put enough care unless they're dealing with a very high end and expensive car.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Did you get a chance to see how the tow truck operator hooked it up and how they were towing it? Improper towing can cause issues down the road if not immediately and not all tow operators put enough care unless they're dealing with a very high end and expensive car.
I was at work, but they did tow correctly, but will be checking for damage on tailpipe and rear bumper as the GF said they used a dolly rather than a flatbed. Generally, around here, the tow business is pretty competitive, so they're quite good about taking care of vehicles.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Closing out with what the repair was...apparently, the thermostat was sticking so the engine wouldn't allow for use of the ICE drive, just electric. Kind of strange, but a new thermostat fixed everything up and it's running fine.
extech67, Billraab and jd3 like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page