post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha Mein View Post
Help some one I'm having this right now on a parking in seychelles
What problem are you having?

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 12:44 AM

Inserting the key into the driver's door keyhole and turning it (yeah, for you kids out there - that's actually how locks were opened "back in the day") will ALWAYS open the door, using the "backup key" is not reliant on the battery at all.

If inserting the key & turning it does not open your door, your dealership probably screwed up and gave you the wrong key.

Once you get the door opened, use the battery button right next to your fuel door button, then try to start normally.
extech67 likes this.

Last edited by RedWouldForrest; 07-22-2018 at 12:47 AM.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 09:26 AM

What does that battery reset button actually do? Does the Niro have a separate little 12v. battery? I heard someplace that the 12v. battery is part of the hybrid battery. Is that true? I also heard that since they are combined that you can't replace the 12v. battery separately without replace the whole hybrid battery. Is that true?

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 09:52 AM

The 12V battery is electrically separated from the main traction battery, which on the hybrid is 240V. They can't be connected directly!

It is also physically separate from the traction battery, although you can Google a diagram showing it as a small box on the outside of the traction battery. I'm sure it can be replaced without the traction battery, but would be under warranty either way. The battery reset button recharges the 12V battery from the 240V battery. Small enough that it is instant. I've had to do it twice, once for a malfunctioning accessory and once after not driving for several weeks.
extech67 likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
The 12V battery is electrically separated from the main traction battery, which on the hybrid is 240V. They can't be connected directly!

It is also physically separate from the traction battery, although you can Google a diagram showing it as a small box on the outside of the traction battery. I'm sure it can be replaced without the traction battery, but would be under warranty either way. The battery reset button recharges the 12V battery from the 240V battery. Small enough that it is instant. I've had to do it twice, once for a malfunctioning accessory and once after not driving for several weeks.
Hey thanks a lot for the info. I guess I got bad info before. I thought it was very odd that the 12v. battery would not be separate from the hybrid battery. That button sounds like a handy feature. I guess the hybrid battery just gives the 12v. battery a quick charge so you can get started?

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 04:03 PM

Wait are you saying if your 12v battery dies, unlike any other vehicle, you don't need a cable jump start because that feature is built in to grab energy from the hybrid battery? That's super cool if so! Is this unique to the Niro? I watched almost every Niro review video on youtube and NOT ONE mentioned this.

Also where is the 12v battery? Some video reviews say it has one some that it doesnt.

And I'm interested specifically in the PHEV details, not sure if that makes a difference from the regular hybrid as far as my questions above.

Thanks!
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 04:59 PM

My PHEV has a 12 volt lead acid battery in the right rear of the cargo area. If left parked for a long time the green charge light on the dash will flash a few times indicating that the traction battery automatically put charge into the 12 volt battery.
extech67 likes this.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Wait are you saying if your 12v battery dies, unlike any other vehicle, you don't need a cable jump start because that feature is built in to grab energy from the hybrid battery? That's super cool if so! Is this unique to the Niro? I watched almost every Niro review video on youtube and NOT ONE mentioned this.

Also where is the 12v battery? Some video reviews say it has one some that it doesnt.

And I'm interested specifically in the PHEV details, not sure if that makes a difference from the regular hybrid as far as my questions above.

Thanks!
For reasons I don't understand, the PHEV and the EV have a regular lead acid battery (although smaller than cars that depend on it for starting the car). Only the HEV has a lithium 12 V battery. The 2017 non North American HEVs also had a lead acid battery. The lithium 12V battery was touted as saving a ton of weight, so I don't get why they don't use it on the PHEV and BEV.

I've seen lots of HEV videos and article pictures showing the exact location of the 12V battery. It is located on the side of the traction battery. The original roadshow for reviewers included no sheet metal car to look at the electrical components. A lithium 12V wouldn't be shown on PHEV reviews of course. Not crazy about having a lead acid battery in the passenger compartment, they do explode sometimes.
extech67 likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page