Niro PHEV KW (amp hour) meter - Kia Niro Forum
 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
safari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 17
Garage
Niro PHEV KW (amp hour) meter

I was curious so I installed an amp/kw meter on my type 2 charger,totals KW hours used.voltage ,instantaneous amps and power in watts used at charging...I would like to see how many KW hours I use in a month versus gasoline...cheap enough $17 on Amazon. ..Loving my Niro plug in so far !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NiroINSIGHT2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	4061   Click image for larger version

Name:	NiroINSIGHT.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	4063  
Dovidan likes this.
safari is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 10:16 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Boston
Posts: 26
Very cool. Jealous that you have a garage to charge in. I can only charge at work (when my wife doesn't need the car).
safari likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nguthrie is offline  
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 10:57 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 6
I have a Juice Box charger at home. I also plug in where I can at work on 110v. I've used 114 kWh at home in the 15 days since I got the car.
safari likes this.
schmluss is offline  
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 11:40 PM
Member
 
FiddlingNiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 54
safari, please share the details on your amp/kw meter. I added a 240V outlet in my garage and I'd like to measure my usage, too. Seems like that should be something the UVO eco app should be able to account for us but until then....
safari likes this.

2018 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium - Aurora Black
FiddlingNiro is offline  
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
safari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 17
Garage
Digital Current Voltage Power Energy Multimeter Ammeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddlingNiro View Post
safari, please share the details on your amp/kw meter. I added a 240V outlet in my garage and I'd like to measure my usage, too. Seems like that should be something the UVO eco app should be able to account for us but until then....
I used this one..pretty simple hookup..works well...Have fun !


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
FiddlingNiro likes this.
safari is offline  
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 08:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 55
These watt meters are cheaper around $12 from aliexpress. They are inductive sensors and require placing a toroid ring over one of the power wires going to the charger ( for smaller amperages the sensor is built in). The direction of placement is critical for high amperage sensors. Now the energy absorbed by the battery is always less then the energy supplied by the charger. The battery gives up energy to heat as it charges and discharges. I have 12 of these meters installed near the house panel to monitor appliance energy use as well as one dedicated to my Niro EX premium PHEV.
Now batteries don't really like to be fully charged or fully discharged so Kia manages that keeping a full charge to about 24-26 miles whereas the battery probably is full at 30 miles and the engine comes on at about 4 miles. to never get to fully drained. Kia probably has this just right so as to get 10 years out of the battery.
I noticed when the car switches off charging at around 26 miles plugging it in again will get a few extra minutes of charging ( another mile or two) but it very likely bad for the battery.
safari likes this.
picstart is offline  
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
safari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 17
Garage
I noticed when the car switches off charging at around 26 miles plugging it in again will get a few extra minutes of charging ( another mile or two) but it very likely bad for the battery.

Never knew this..interesting !

Thanks!
safari is offline  
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:57 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by picstart View Post
These watt meters are cheaper around $12 from aliexpress. They are inductive sensors and require placing a toroid ring over one of the power wires going to the charger ( for smaller amperages the sensor is built in). The direction of placement is critical for high amperage sensors. Now the energy absorbed by the battery is always less then the energy supplied by the charger. The battery gives up energy to heat as it charges and discharges. I have 12 of these meters installed near the house panel to monitor appliance energy use as well as one dedicated to my Niro EX premium PHEV.
Now batteries don't really like to be fully charged or fully discharged so Kia manages that keeping a full charge to about 24-26 miles whereas the battery probably is full at 30 miles and the engine comes on at about 4 miles. to never get to fully drained. Kia probably has this just right so as to get 10 years out of the battery.
I noticed when the car switches off charging at around 26 miles plugging it in again will get a few extra minutes of charging ( another mile or two) but it very likely bad for the battery.
Hi! Just got a 2019 Niro PHEV and was wondering about this very question. I've read that it is not good for EV batteries to be left sitting at 100% charge. I've also read that different EV manufacturers have different battery management strategies--for example like the one you suggest of setting '100 %' at a false ceiling to prohibit owners from damaging batteries.

There is a charging station I can access at work, but sometimes it is only open in the morning. So I might end up charging the Niro to 100% and then leaving it sit for another six hours before I drive home. I haven't found strict guidelines in the Niro PHEV manual about charging strategies. Should I just charge to 85% and then try and top off shortly before I leave in the afternoon so as not to damage battery? Or is Kia battery management solving this 'problem' for me as described above? Thanks!
abeyer42 is offline  
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 420
Do you charge your cell phone to 75%? it is the exact same thing. If you really wanted to preserve the battery inside your cell phone, you would only charge the device to 75% and not let it drop below 35% charge and would charge it in small incriments during the day, but reality is that nobody does that and yet our cell phones seem to still work and don't break from battery failure after doing everything wrong with them for even 2-3 years. And your sell phone has a much smaller battery that will make it subject to far worse impact from overcharge/extreem discharge and overheating while being charged.


I have an Ipad that is getting on to 5 years old and it still holds a full days charge and shows the battery life wear at only 85%.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
Roadkill401 is online now  
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 01:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 358
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeyer42 View Post
Should I just charge to 85% and then try and top off shortly before I leave in the afternoon so as not to damage battery? Or is Kia battery management solving this 'problem' for me as described above? Thanks!
The latter, as you surmised the charge controller handles all of this transparently for you. 100% on the display doesn't actually reflect the battery's state of charge. 100% charged in the PHEV equates to an ~80% charge level on the battery itself. It's better to think of the 100% number as reflecting the max charge level the car will allow.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
jmurphEV is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 Kia Niro PHEV EX hawke New Member Introductions 22 08-02-2018 04:21 PM
Kia Niro PHEV Makes Canadian Debut At CIAS Kia Niro News 2017+ Kia Niro News 3 05-03-2018 12:36 PM
Kia Niro Overview (U.S. Spec) Administrator 2017+ Kia Niro News 6 08-12-2017 06:32 PM
Test Drove Niro and Ioniq Today Jay Kia Niro Versus the Competition 8 03-21-2017 11:41 PM
Kia Niro Press Release, Official Dr.T Kia Niro General Discussion 13 04-12-2016 12:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome