2019 PHEV 12V battery issue - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By yticolev

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

2019 PHEV 12V battery issue

I've installed a dashcam (blackvue 2ch).

The problem is, it pulls the auxiliary 12V battery low if parked too long, which activates the battery-saver (uses 8.9kWh battery to recharge 12V battery).
That doesn't bother me, apart from the system throwing an error after about 10 cycles, assuming the 12V battery is malfunctioning, and I don't know how many Ah are transferred.

I'd like to know if replacing the 12V battery with a deep-discharge version, or a larger capacity version (or both) would be okay?

As far as I can tell the 12V battery is not used to spin the ICE, but maybe it is.

I don't wish to install an extra battery in parallel with the dashcam as in a normal vehicle. Wanna keep it simple and solve the problem.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:53 PM

You want the dash cam working 24/7?

I can say that no, the 12 V battery doesn't start the engine, the traction battery spins the HSG which is connected to the engine via a belt.
Orac likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
You want the dash cam working 24/7?

I can say that no, the 12 V battery doesn't start the engine, the traction battery spins the HSG which is connected to the engine via a belt.

Cool.

Yeah, I'd like it running the whole time. I've yet to get a wireless connection close enough to the dashcam, but when I do I'll be able to stream the 2 camera feeds to a server that record constantly.

I think when I upgrade to the EV, I'll just build the server in the car itself. Could do that cheaper than the pro install of the cam I have
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 11:35 PM

Garage
Yes, if you can fit a beefier amp battery, that would help. But then you have to figure what the charging current the car supplies is, if it's too small, you might never fully charge the new bigger battery unless you take extended drives to top off the battery. Or you could plug a charger in, oh say once a week, to top off charge the bigger battery. Or then ....You might as well install a 2nd 12v battery, Running a dash cam 24/7 can be a tad much. Do you know the current draw of the cams? Knowing that will help you figure out a battery budget. Of course you will have to charge it regularly, so 2 batteries might be a better idea, While one charges, the other is working, then flip - flop 'em. Other than that, anther option might be to find a system that has a lower current draw! This is a unique problem to newer cars. Manufacturers put just the necessary battery in, not the brutes the older cars needed!

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:15 AM

I measured the voltage at 15.3 while car is running. Unless a fuse blows, I can't see why any size battery wouldn't charge fully.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

I would question how pro the installation was if they installed the camera without the propper wiring to have the unit go to sleep when the battery is drained enough to cause an issue. This is a pretty standard thing for a dash cam.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 06:40 PM

That won't work on the Niro. The battery relay will cut out first.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page