Can you jump start a PHEV? - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandent View Post
2018 PHEV here. I have had to jump start mine....I'm one of the 'miserable roadside assistance experience' people. Few comments on the process...

1. The HEV and PHEV are different. The PHEV version has a completely separate standard 12v car battery found behind the plastic panel in the right rear of the hatch. The HEV does not.
2. The HEV has a 'reset' for the 12v...they are physically the same unit. The PHEV has some kind of recharge scheme that the main battery will charge the 12v up if the 12v drains when the car is off. However it only runs a set number of cycles and will stop so as not to run the high voltage battery dead.
3. Yes you can (and in my case must) jump start the vehicle if the 12v is dead. In my case the high voltage battery was still nearly full. For whatever reason while the car was sitting plugged in overnight the 12v drained, was refilled by the big battery, then drained again. I think it'll only do this a couple times before giving up. In any case car was stone dead to the point of no interior light. A full main battery does not help in this situation. It WILL NOT start regardless of the status of the main battery.
4. There are two spots to jump start it. Under the hood there's a big electrical box with plastic cover. Pop it off and there's a positive battery post there among other things. Well not exactly a post but a designated metal piece to clamp on to. The negative is to be latched onto whatever metal piece you like for ground. There is no negative post. This is the approved procedure in the manual. Alternatively I suppose you could connect the jumpers straight up to the 12v battery in back. I'd just use the one they tell you to use though.
5. Similarly you can jump start someone else using the same connections.

Thank you for the information! On my coming road trip, the car will be packed to the gills and so the idea of bringing along booster cables and the emergency charging cord is unappealing. And it just occurred to me that even if both batteries were truly flat, I probably wouldn't even be able to charge it with the emergency charger until after I had provided enough juice to the 12V system to run the computer and allow the charger to operate. So if push comes to shove and I can only bring either 12V booster cables or the emergency trickle charger, I'm thinking that the booster cables are the better bet. Your response seems to corroborate that idea.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 07:46 AM

If both batteries are dead, no roadside efforts will succeed. That is a major breakdown and only towing to dealer will suffice. Chances of that happening are perhaps similar to blowing a head gasket - very rare. Software will not allow batteries to fully discharge.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasmith View Post
Chapter 7 of the owner's manual has a section titled "Before jump starting (For Hybrid)", but there is no corresponding section for the PHEV. Also, I've read that the high voltage HSG is what starts the ICE, so it seems that if both batteries were flat, jump starting the 12 V battery might allow the computer to work, but there wouldn't be a way to start the ICE. Is that correct?
Here im sharing my personal experience on Outlander PHEV.

How to jump start PHEV - visit my visitor message area!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	5247  

Last edited by Anuj Bandara; 07-28-2019 at 09:14 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page