2018 phev transmission - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:58 PM
Mal

I think, like most hybrids, KIA tried a little too hard to make it behave like a conventional IC car. Take your foot off the brake and it moves. Really no reason to, but it does. So far, I really like how they programmed it. I just hope they haven't sacrificed too much efficiency for a conventional car feel. I can certainly live with the little quirks the drive has for the sake of being a hybrid.
TK6 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I think, like most hybrids, KIA tried a little too hard to make it behave like a conventional IC car. Take your foot off the brake and it moves. Really no reason to, but it does. So far, I really like how they programmed it. I just hope they haven't sacrificed too much efficiency for a conventional car feel. I can certainly live with the little quirks the drive has for the sake of being a hybrid.

I personally am thankful that they decided to make it drive like a conventional car. I never liked the way a typical hybrid felt to drive. This car feels a lot more fun, with real actual gear changes. CVTs just feel unnatural to me. Maybe I'm just getting old. You kids with your skateboards and comic books, get off my lawn!
jmurphEV and TK6 like this.

2018 PHEV
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 03:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
I personally am thankful that they decided to make it drive like a conventional car. I never liked the way a typical hybrid felt to drive. This car feels a lot more fun, with real actual gear changes. CVTs just feel unnatural to me. Maybe I'm just getting old. You kids with your skateboards and comic books, get off my lawn!
Agreed. One of the major attractions of the Niro for me was the conventional transmission layout. Probably not logical, but I too prefer a normal shift feel compared to the very odd to me behavior of a CVT.

Jim
Southern Maryland

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page