Level 1 or Level2 for the PHEV? - Page 3 - Kia Niro Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niro2zee View Post
Another factor in battery longevity is number of charging cycles. Right now I plug my car in after every days use whether I have 5 or 20 miles of range left. Should I be topping off the 20 mile range if I donít think Iím going to need it the next day? Any thoughts?
Go ahead and top it off! You are only charging to 80% capacity as there is a large software maintained capacity buffer. The only folks who should be concerned are BEV owners - and the first Niro BEV has still not been sold in the US.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niro2zee View Post
Another factor in battery longevity is number of charging cycles. Right now I plug my car in after every days use whether I have 5 or 20 miles of range left. Should I be topping off the 20 mile range if I donít think Iím going to need it the next day? Any thoughts?
I usually skip charging mine if I think I'm not likely to use up the EV range the next day. In my world, that often means that I don't put it on charge until gets below about 12 miles of range. Everything I've read suggests that the battery is happier with a moderate level of charge. That doesn't mean I'm averse to charging to max range or depleting to zero range, just that when given the option, I try to keep it somewhere in the middle.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:21 AM

On the PHEV, you are in the middle of the battery capacity when you have used all the EV miles.

Still, more charging cycles is directly related to loss of capacity so you are doing the right thing although with a very minor effect.

post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:28 AM
Mal

I have to add that I suspect that there is precious little difference in battery life between level 1 or 2 charging nor levels used or charged to. From a study of pure EV's, I think enemy #1 is heat. Leafs driven in hot climates loose battery life considerably faster than those driven in cooler areas. Charging in the coolest part of the night or at least with a cool interior in the shade likely trumps other precautions.

I don't care here in winter but in the heat of summer, I'll level 1 charge to be full a little after dawn and avoid charging with a hot interior.
charlesH likes this.
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 05:45 PM

Garage
I bought a 32 amp charger but after reading all this, it sounds like the 16 amp charger would have been a better option and that it would still charge from empty at 2.5 hours.
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
On the PHEV, you are in the middle of the battery capacity when you have used all the EV miles.
So if i really do understand what you are saying,, If i drive my 42km (26 miles) on my PHEV, the battery is at half capacity/charged ?.. So, the battery of a PHEV is what? 50% HEV and 50% EV.. Is that it ??

What is the total capacity ? 24.7 Ah ?

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 10:15 PM

Useable capacity is 26 miles. After that you are in hybrid mode.

post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
That i know, i drive one!...

It's the: ...are in the middle of the battery capacity... that i have pointed out.! How can you tell that when i am out of EV miles, that i am in the "middle of" !?

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:39 PM

Garage
Many houses (including mine) were built pre-3 prong outlet. i.e. old crap. Lots of times (such as in my house and in my garage) 3 prong outlets got installed at some point but are not actually wired with that ground wire. This old wiring heats up easily, tends to be shoddy, and is straight up a fire hazard on anything drawing even 12 amps regardless of what amperage the circuit is. Just because someone replaced the fuse box at some point and put a breaker panel in and there's a 30 amp breaker, doesn't mean the wiring supports that. Our garage had a two prong outlet wiring with a 3 prong outlet (obviously 3rd prong/ground not hooked up) with a 6 outlet plugin stuck into that outlet. i.e. up to 6 different devices plugged into one incorrectly wired outlet. Which reminds me....yeah...people are way more likely to hook a power strip up to the level 1 outlet and run half a dozen things off the same outlet where one of those things is the level 1 charger. I can imagine a scenario where someone runs a 50 foot cheapo indoor extension cord out of the garage and uses the level 1 charger plugged into the car sitting in the driveway. That's not going to happen with a level 2 outlet.

So yes there is exactly ZERO logic that says the level 1 charger is not as good for your battery. Complete nonsense. It is, however almost certainly less of a fire hazard to use level 2 because yes there are fewer possible ways to be a complete idiot.
lafe005 and charlesH like this.
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
FWIW

hev battery capacity is ~ 1.9Kwhr?
Phev battery capacity is ~ 8.9Kwhr?

1.0/8.9 = 12% this is consistent with what the car reports as the soc when I start to recharge after transitioning from ev to hev mode.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal

Last edited by charlesH; 02-13-2019 at 12:00 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page