Charging the Niro HEV at Home? - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Charging the Niro HEV at Home?

Hi everyone,

I've owned my 19" Niro Touring for almost a year now and I've been wondering if anyone has attempted to charge the batteries to near full at home with an external charger. I quickly searched that some Toyota owners can. All I can see is we have a positive post under the engine but I'm not sure if it ties in with the li ion batteries. Then to figure out how long it would take to charge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
No can't do! There is no plug-in on the HEV versions. Sorry

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
No can't do! There is no plug-in on the HEV versions. Sorry

I understand there isn't a " Plug in" on the HEV hence "HEV"

This is more of a technical challenge. I'm pretty sure there has to be a way to charge the batteries without the need of the engine. Possibly a service procedure to charge and test battery state. Possibly a particular location maybe near or surrounding the back seat where the battery is held, there could be a DIAG port or Connection of some sort. Possible under the hood by removing X, Y, Z fuse in order to bypass the default systems etc. etc. A Kia Tech may have access to schematics or procedures would help.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy Eve View Post
I understand there isn't a " Plug in" on the HEV hence "HEV"

This is more of a technical challenge. I'm pretty sure there has to be a way to charge the batteries without the need of the engine. Possibly a service procedure to charge and test battery state. Possibly a particular location maybe near or surrounding the back seat where the battery is held, there could be a DIAG port or Connection of some sort. Possible under the hood by removing X, Y, Z fuse in order to bypass the default systems etc. etc. A Kia Tech may have access to schematics or procedures would help.
Good luck!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:11 PM

I'm sure the dealers have access to a charger for the HEV battery. From what I understand Toyota had a few that they would have to ship around to the different dealers when the need arose. Sometimes people with a Prius would drain the battery so low when they ran out of gas that the HEV battery would be near dead and would need that charger.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:34 PM

This thought has crossed my mind as well.

One thing to note about all hybrid or electric vehicles is all of the high voltage cables are orange in color. So the + connection under the hood only gives you 12v. If you were to connect a high voltage charger to that then something is going to let the magic smoke out.

It would be very nice to be able to top off my HEV battery fully. With about a 75% charge on the battery I’ve driven 5 1/4 miles on all electric before the gas engine started. If I could stretch that out to 6 miles all electric every morning then it would really help the average fuel economy out a lot.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page