HEV battery range - Kia Niro Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Unread 09-25-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

HEV battery range

Over the weekend I decided to put my 2018 LX HEV into sport mode to charge the battery to 100% so I could find out exactly what the all electric range is.

Once the battery was 100% charged, it drove completely different. There was ZERO engine braking when letting off of the throttle. It was easy to keep the instant MPG gauge in the 50+ mpg area when driving in Sport mode, and it was VERY difficult to prevent the car from using electric assist.

So I started driving with the battery at 100%. The average speed was 30 mph and I hit 6 stop lights. At 7.1 all electric miles the gas engine cranked up. This really surprised me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Unread 09-25-2019, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
That is pretty amazing range from such a small battery. Of course, the HEV software normally won't let the battery get that high or low, so most users probably won't see more than a mile or so pure EV. I know when I drove my son-in-law's '18 Ioniq it was next to impossible to keep the ICE from firing up with even the gentlest of starts.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Unread 09-25-2019, 03:18 PM

I thought 7 miles was Kia's specification for the HEV on battery alone. Always figured it meant with a full battery.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Unread 10-03-2019, 06:36 PM

One can charge the battery to 100% using sport mode? You have the HEV, right?
You say the ICE came on at 7.1 miles. What was the battery level at that point? 50%? Zero?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Unread 10-04-2019, 09:03 AM

Location: Knoxville, TN (soon to be Elizabethton, TN) work in Asheville, NC
Garage
This is why we love the PHEV, many of us get over and above the 26 EV miles that Kia and the EPA estimate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Unread 10-04-2019, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilverFlash View Post
This is why we love the PHEV, many of us get over and above the 26 EV miles that Kia and the EPA estimate.
Yep, I've hit 34 miles with the HVAC on. Others have done even better.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Unread 10-04-2019, 11:28 AM

I live in the Seattle area and with going up and down all our hills I do between hit 32 and 36 miles with the HVAC on.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Unread 10-09-2019, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsel View Post
One can charge the battery to 100% using sport mode? You have the HEV, right?
You say the ICE came on at 7.1 miles. What was the battery level at that point? 50%? Zero?
In order to get the battery to 100%, you need to monitor power flow and use the sport mode to manually shift in order to keep the battery charging. At about 75%-80% of the battery being charged, it appears as though the computer cuts back how much it charges the battery. So once you get above this point it gets harder and harder to try to keep the power flow meter in the charging mode.

You will know you are at 100% charge when the battery level indicator is full, but the best way to tell is when you get zero engine braking.

According to the battery level indicator, the ICE kicked back on when the battery was down to about 20%.

And yes, my Niro is an HEV LX model.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Unread 10-09-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
You will know you are at 100% charge when the battery level indicator is full, but the best way to tell is when you get zero engine braking.
Likely you mean no regen braking, or 100% engine braking with foot off pedal.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Unread 10-09-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
Likely you mean no regen braking, or 100% engine braking with foot off pedal.
Both. When the battery is fully charged you can let off the gas and it is like cruise control is turned on. You don’t slow down at all. That is not an exaggeration either. You also have to get on the brakes harder as you have zero regen braking. This gave me a good idea of when the service brakes start to be used under normal driving conditions.