Convert stock Niro L1 charger to L2? No - Kia Niro Forum
 12Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Convert stock Niro L1 charger to L2? No

Some L1 chargers reportedly can be converted to L2 simply by connecting the L1 neutral wire to the other hot2 wire of a 240V circuit.

L1 120. neutral, hot1, ground

L2 240, hot2, hot1, ground

Note: the Niro stock evse specifically warns against this.

Some evse circuit diagrams show the neutral wire connected to the output relay only, not connected to any circuitry inside the evse. The evse is powered by the hot1 and ground wires. If done this way, it is possible to see how simply connecting hot2 to the normally neutral wire would work.

However, the niro stock evse does in fact use the neutral wire to power the evse electronics. It is not a simple passthrough. I determined this by disconnected the neutral wire and seeing that the evse did not function.

FWIW

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
For at least the US version, it is specifically labeled 120v only. Yeah, I wouldn't try it. 16 amp L2 chargers just aren't that expensive. I think mine was under $200.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 10:32 PM

Try explaining that one to your insurance company after your house burns down...

2019 Kia Niro PHEV, EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
Some L1 chargers reportedly can be converted to L2 simply by connecting the L1 neutral wire to the other hot2 wire of a 240V circuit.

L1 120. neutral, hot1, ground

L2 240, hot2, hot1, ground

Note: the Niro stock evse specifically warns against this.

Some evse circuit diagrams show the neutral wire connected to the output relay only, not connected to any circuitry inside the evse. The evse is powered by the hot1 and ground wires. If done this way, it is possible to see how simply connecting hot2 to the normally neutral wire would work.

However, the niro stock evse does in fact use the neutral wire to power the evse electronics. It is not a simple passthrough. I determined this by disconnected the neutral wire and seeing that the evse did not function.

FWIW
On the other hand, I just saw an ad for a Hyundai L1 evse (part number 91887-G7520) L1 to L2 converter. The Hyundai evse looks just like the Kia but for the name Hyundai vs Kia.

part number

Hyundai 91887-G7520
Kia 91887 -G5520

I think I'm going to try it. Worse case if I smoke the L1 I have an excuse to buy a 16a L2 for $150. We are now driving 30 to 50 miles per day and there are times when the L2 faster charge rate would be very useful.

I'll let you know.
Dovidan likes this.

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
On the other hand, I just saw an ad for a Hyundai L1 evse (part number 91887-G7520) L1 to L2 converter. The Hyundai evse looks just like the Kia but for the name Hyundai vs Kia.

part number

Hyundai 91887-G7520
Kia 91887 -G5520

I think I'm going to try it. Worse case if I smoke the L1 I have an excuse to buy a 16a L2 for $150. We are now driving 30 to 50 miles per day and there are times when the L2 faster charge rate would be very useful.

I'll let you know.
Success!

First I wired a light bulb in series to limit the current should there be a problem in the evse box. There was no problem. I then removed the light bulb and plugged into the car. Indicated charge times are cut in half as expected.

I'm charging at ~2.9kw according to my whole house monitoring system.

I will now build a short conversion cord.
Dovidan likes this.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 11:01 AM

CharlesH some people on the Prius form did exactly what you did with success to charge a Prius Prime, adapting the L1 cord to act as a 240v L2 cord.

As a curiosity I would be interested if your charging time drops down to 2.5 hours from fully discharged to fully charged. I researched doing this before ultimately buying my L2 charging station but in the end chickened out and did not try it.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnxyz View Post
CharlesH some people on the Prius form did exactly what you did with success to charge a Prius Prime, adapting the L1 cord to act as a 240v L2 cord.

As a curiosity I would be interested if your charging time drops down to 2.5 hours from fully discharged to fully charged. I researched doing this before ultimately buying my L2 charging station but in the end chickened out and did not try it.
I'm only using 12a (stock L1 evse max) so charge time will not be as short as an L2 cord using 16a. I expect just over 3hrs.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I'm only using 12a (stock L1 evse max) so charge time will not be as short as an L2 cord using 16a. I expect just over 3hrs.
Since it's only running at 12 amps, maybe it will be OK, but be sure to monitor how warm the cable gets. Since it's designed for 110/12, 220/12 might get too warm. I acknowledge that 12 amps is 12 amps, regardless of voltage. But you never know...

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Quote:
Since it's only running at 12 amps, maybe it will be OK, but be sure to monitor how warm the cable gets. Since it's designed for 110/12, 220/12 might get too warm. I acknowledge that 12 amps is 12 amps, regardless of voltage. But you never know... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/KiaNiroForum/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/IMG]
Good point. I believe that doubling the voltage will double the power dissipated in the cable.
Dovidan likes this.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Success!

First I wired a light bulb in series to limit the current should there be a problem in the evse box. There was no problem. I then removed the light bulb and plugged into the car. Indicated charge times are cut in half as expected.

I'm charging at ~2.9kw according to my whole house monitoring system.

I will now build a short conversion cord.
This sounds great and I would be interested in doing the same. But being somewhat dimwitted and thus chickenhearted about electrical stuff I'd need a blow by blow description with pictures to attempt to do it myself. It would be great is you would do that for we Niro pHEV owners (as long as your house is still standing a month later).

Dan
2019 Snow White Niro PHEV EX Premium w SR
Other car: 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Ltd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page