Niro Plug in Federal Tax Credit - Page 3 - Kia Niro Forum
 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 359
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardavis View Post
Form 8936 is correct but I don't see anything in Schedule 3 for this credit. The $4,543 is based on the 8.9kWh battery.
It goes on line 54, Other Credits from Form... check box "c" and enter form number 8936. Easy peasy.

Source: Turbo Tax

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
jmurphEV is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Western WA
Posts: 52
Last week we received our 2018 federal tax refund that included the $4,543 Kia PHEV tax credit. Feels good to finally have the last part of our Niro purchase completed.
Dovidan likes this.

2018 Niro EX PHEV- Aurora Black Pearl/Charcoal
hawke is offline  
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 33
It's updated ..2018-19 Kia Niro has a $4543 credit
javiera781 is offline  
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 431
Garage
It's funny how does the US owners has to get the credit by them self and on their own. In Quebec, we have 2 tax credit on our PHEV and EV.s by our provincial and federal government, and they are deducted directly on the sale price at the dealer. Plus, the dealer takes the "lead" on the money and they get paid after.
Dovidan likes this.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!


Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

lafe005 is offline  
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Seattle WA.
Posts: 202
Yah, our government makes us work really hard for our $ here in the lower 48! ;-)
Dovidan is offline  
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
 
atc98092's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Auburn WA
Posts: 407
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
It's funny how does the US owners has to get the credit by them self and on their own. In Quebec, we have 2 tax credit on our PHEV and EV.s by our provincial and federal government, and they are deducted directly on the sale price at the dealer. Plus, the dealer takes the "lead" on the money and they get paid after.
Yeah, if we lease (as I did) it comes straight off the price of the car. If we purchase, you have to claim it on your end of year tax return AND you have to have a tax liability at least as much as the credit to get the full amount. If the credit was the max of $7500, but you only owed $5000 in federal tax, you'd only get $5000 for the credit and the remaining $2500 would not be carried over to the following year.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
atc98092 is online now  
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 02:18 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Wayland, MA - outside Boston
Posts: 6
2019 US tax credit

There is confirmation on the IRS website that the 2019 Niro EV qualifies for the full $7500 credit.
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/irc-3...vehicle-credit

Scroll down to the "Kia" line, click it to open, and it shows a table for Kia vehicles including the Niro EV.
AC-Boston is offline  
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Yeah, if we lease (as I did) it comes straight off the price of the car. If we purchase, you have to claim it on your end of year tax return AND you have to have a tax liability at least as much as the credit to get the full amount. If the credit was the max of $7500, but you only owed $5000 in federal tax, you'd only get $5000 for the credit and the remaining $2500 would not be carried over to the following year.
Just out of curiosity, also a question that I have been thinking for quite some time, I would imagine anyone that is looking at purchasing the Niro EV or PHEV probably would have tax liability more than a few grand and would get the full benefit of the federal tax rebate?
DannyNiro is online now  
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyNiro View Post
Just out of curiosity, also a question that I have been thinking for quite some time, I would imagine anyone that is looking at purchasing the Niro EV or PHEV probably would have tax liability more than a few grand and would get the full benefit of the federal tax rebate?
fyi,

Withdrawing 50k from a retirement account creates a ~5k tax liability. Useful if your other income doesn't.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
charlesH is offline  
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old Today, 12:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Seattle WA.
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyNiro View Post
Just out of curiosity, also a question that I have been thinking for quite some time, I would imagine anyone that is looking at purchasing the Niro EV or PHEV probably would have tax liability more than a few grand and would get the full benefit of the federal tax rebate?
I'm not a CPA, but I think the short answer is no. If your total taxes are only $2,000, and your PHEV credit is 4,500, you can actually only utilize $2,000 of it. Additionally I don't believe there is any possibility of carry over to another year.

Dan
2019 Snow White Niro PHEV EX Premium w SR
Other car: 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Ltd
Dovidan is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 time Prius owner interested in Niro plug in jdonalds New Member Introductions 14 08-13-2017 03:49 AM
Kia Niro Overview (U.S. Spec) Administrator 2017+ Kia Niro News 6 08-12-2017 06:32 PM
Test Drove Niro and Ioniq Today Jay Kia Niro Versus the Competition 8 03-21-2017 11:41 PM
Kia Niro Press Release, Official Dr.T Kia Niro General Discussion 13 04-12-2016 12:05 PM
Interview with Kia Niro project manager Dr.T 2018+ Kia Niro EV General Discussion 1 02-25-2016 01:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome