California State Rebate Program Out of Money - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

California State Rebate Program Out of Money

Currently the California rebate program for EV purchases is out of money since June 5th. There is no telling how soon additional funds may be available, but no rebates are available after June 5th. Federal Tax credits are still available, but may start being reduced soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
ouch!!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (8700 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:25 PM

Bummer for those who are affected, but it's not necessarily the end of the world. I think this has happened before and if you can afford to be patient, you should sign up for the waiting list and I expect that you'll eventually be compensated. As I understand it, the California state legislature allocates a pot of money for this every so often and it occasionally runs dry and then people have to wait for the next allocation.

Part of the explanation might be the big surge in Teslas that were sold in the past several months. I purchased my Niro last October and since that time, I've seen a total of three other Niros in the wild (two were in a campground in southern CA, the third was commuting north on I-15 a week ago). But in the last three or four months, I've probably seen two dozen Teslas driving around my area, where previously I had seen maybe one or two. I think a lot of CA residents were motivated to purchase Teslas before the federal credits expired and that probably introduced a surge that depleted the state's rebate allocation pot of money faster than anticipated.

The good news is that CA actually increased the rebates recently. People applying for the rebate that comes from their electric utility are likely to get $500 more this year than I got from my CA utility company in 2018.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:21 PM

Ha Ha...California
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:11 PM

I was over the income level for the cash rebate. But I love my carpool sticker!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:24 PM

Although they are out of money, you should turn in any new car rebate applications ASAP -- the rebates will be paid on a first - submitted - first paid basis when the program is funded again.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:27 PM

As far as Fed tax credits, they only run out per "manufacturer" after the manufacturer reaches 200,000 units. Once they do the following year the fed rebates are "sunsetted" , 100% of the rebate for the Battery Capicity Jan - Apr, 50% May - Aug, 25% Sep - Dec ..afaik there are 2 manufacturers sunsetting this year GM (which is why Volts and Bolts are currently at 50% of what they used to be) and Tesla. ...I have no idea where to check what qty any other MFG is at :-P
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 08:34 PM

The rebate application for my Niro EV was submitted on May 12. On Friday, I received an update that the total processing time is estimated to be 74 days.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Abernathey View Post
Currently the California rebate program for EV purchases is out of money since June 5th. There is no telling how soon additional funds may be available, but no rebates are available after June 5th. Federal Tax credits are still available, but may start being reduced soon.
The fed credits are only reduced the year after a manufacturer sell 200,000 units. GM and Tesla are currently in this situation, here's an explanation of how the "phase out" year works:

"How the electric car tax credit phase-out works is a bit complicated. It happens over a one-year period starting at the beginning of the second calendar quarter after the manufacturer hits the 200,000-unit threshold. At that time, the tax credit available to buyers drops to 50 percent of the original incentive available and continues at that level for the next two quarters. In the third and fourth quarter of the phase-out period, the tax credit drops to 25 percent of the original amount.

After the phase-out period, no battery-electric vehicle or plug-in hybrid manufactured by the automaker is eligible for the tax credit."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page