Make sure you check your local Electric Company - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Make sure you check your local Electric Company

I was pleased to find out I get a $500 rebate (cold hard cash) from my local electric company for the purchase of my 2019 Kia Niro Plugin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Yes. Electric companies love people who buy plug in cars as it makes them money. Their hope is that you will need to upgrade your electrical service panel to a larger unit so you can plug in your car.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:51 PM

Mine does a charger install rebate of $500. We're debating on if we'll take it because it would put us on time of use charges instead of flat rate. Since we're home most of the time, that might not work out well for us.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
In the Seattle area Puget Sound Energy doesn't even offer time-based rates, so it doesn't matter what time of day I plug mine in. They offered a charger rebate several years ago but nothing current. Our state approved a new rebate that becomes effective later this year, but it has a lower limit of 30 EV miles before it's available. Therefore it wouldn't have applied to my Niro anyway, so I didn't wait to lease mine.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth View Post
Mine does a charger install rebate of $500. We're debating on if we'll take it because it would put us on time of use charges instead of flat rate. Since we're home most of the time, that might not work out well for us.
Usually ToU charges are lower overnight, but your daytime rates should be the same as they are now. Of course, maybe they are playing it differently. Have you verified exactly what the rates would be, compared to your current rates?

Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Usually ToU charges are lower overnight, but your daytime rates should be the same as they are now. Of course, maybe they are playing it differently. Have you verified exactly what the rates would be, compared to your current rates?
If I remember right, standard rate is 12 plus $10 in fees

Daytime rates go up, and night time rates are lower.

Energy Charge (added to Demand Charge):

All on-peak energy, per kWh 14.80 (1-5pm)

Plus all mid-peak energy, per kWh 11.71

Plus all off-peak energy, per kWh 7.87 (10pm-8am)
Plus $28 in fees

Running the AC from 1-5 will be a lot more expensive, and that's generally when it's on. I need to track the meter every hour or so for a few days and see what our normal use is, and then check again during a heat wave.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
That's quite a bit different than I have here. We pay (before taxes) about 9 cents per kWh up to a certain amount, then almost 11 cents above that amount. But we don't have any time based rates available, so who knows what Puget Sound Energy would do it they offered it.

Dan

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:20 PM

We too got a rebate from our electric company- yea!

Our TOU rates are both lower at night and higher during the day than standard rates. But since we have solar panels, it makes sense for us. Our panels produce electricity when the rates are highest in the afternoon, and we can charge our car at night when rates are lowest.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

My electric is via local city electric company ..no tiered rates ..plus we have solar panels so now instead of selling back our extra at a reduced rate ...I use part of it for my PHEV 🙂
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:39 PM

Garage
Idaho Power has business incentives for installing chargers, but all they offer for consumers is a list of electric vehicle ranges and prices and the option to go onto a peak/off-peak pricing structure. For half the year, I work nights, and they will not let you switch back and forth by season, so I am out of luck on a good deal.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page