side window visor/deflector - Page 3 - Kia Niro Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 10:48 PM

Installed the side window Sunshades. Mainly, I like to be able to leave the windows cracked when sitting out on a hot day and not have to worry about rain getting in.

Bought them off E-Bay (Korea Seller) for $49.75. Found out later there are better prices and my guess is as good a quality. SO SHOP more than I did. Takes a while for delivery as come from Korea.

They fit nicely and easy to install, but end up covering the Chrome at top edge of the door (Mine is EX Model).

No Instructions provided, so I give a couple pointers:

1) Clean surface of door (Chrome) with Alcohol and dry (at least that is what I did).

2) DO NOT REMOVE the backing from the tape completely. Remove about 3 or 4 inches and let it hang loose so you can pull it out a bit at a time as you fit the shades to the door.

NOTE 1: You would have a hard time aligning the entire shade at one time if you had the backing completely off the tape as it will stick to the door where you touch it.

NOTE 2: When doing the front door, I started with the tape loose about 4 inches at the door pillar end. Back door would work starting on either end, but I started at the pillar on back door also.

3) Mine had a small shade piece (about 10 inches long) for the side rear windows. Start it at the door opening.

NOTE: IMPORTANT - Make sure your rear door clears the shade when you open the door before you decide exactly where to stick it. You may need to sit it back a 1/16 or 1/32 from edge of the chrome to clear the rubber gasket on the door as you open the door. MY PASSENGER SIDE REAR DOOR rubber hit the shade after I installed it and I had to remove the shade and slide it back a little.

I think I lucked out and did not destroy the tape on the shade when I removed it.

4) One last comment (not an installation instruction) --- my shades came with a shield to put over the top of the side mirrors. I did not use it as it was a piece of junk (flexible rubber like material that sort of folded down and hides part of the mirror). Besides that, it would look cheap.

The shades do cover the door chrome at top of door, but still look nice (my opinion). Also, unlike my Nissan Rogue which had a visibility problem when turning left because of the pillar that got worse with the width of the shades, visibility seems OK with the NIRO.

The pictures taken in the garage are not too good Lighting - I took one with the garage light on and one with a flash). Maybe get a better one outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0719.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1098   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0720.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	1106  
lrpavlo and Dovidan like this.

Last edited by PAULRIDES; 04-24-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:14 PM

A better Picture of side shades installed (better than he one I took in the garage after installation) .

I do like the fact these had the extra piece over the rear window as it gives a look of "Not Being Cutoff with only the front and rear window".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1677 - Copy.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	1266  
lrpavlo likes this.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicbill View Post
From what I've seen, the rear passenger windows are tinted so I don't know if I would bother putting deflectors on those, but the front doors don't appear tinted in the pics that I've seen.
Of course, it's nice having the window open a little even if it's raining.

I've had them on my last two vehicles and I really like them!
Why wouldn't you put window deflectors on rear windows because they are tinted?
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 01:00 PM

Do you mean a shade over the rear view mirror? That doesnt sound logical
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 01:02 PM

Window deflectors look nice.
Are "window shades" 7 window deflectors same thing?
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 09:05 PM

Jpear,

I don't know what they are called --- all I know is see picture I took and posted when car was parked on a street as that is a clear picture of the "whatever you call them".

The main reason I LIKE them is -- You can leave window open an inch or so on hot days and not worry about a Pop Up Shower. The "Whatever" keeps the rain out.

I had tint added to my front windows (legal limit on darkness). It does not matter if windows are tinted or not.

First of all putting "whatevers" on just the front would look bad (my opinion). The "whatevers" are not for shade (my opinion). That said, they might help some if sun at a particular elevation.

As I said, my purpose is to keep windows open an inch or so on hot days and not worry about rain.
Dovidan likes this.

Last edited by PAULRIDES; 08-19-2017 at 09:12 PM.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 06:59 PM

Just wondering if anyone has ordered and installed the side window deflectors from Weathertech? If so, how did they install and how well do they work?

2017 Kia Niro | Rain Guards - Side Window Deflectors for Cars Trucks SUVs and Minivans | WeatherTech.com
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 06:30 PM

Well, it's waethertech and their stuff is generally pretty well fitting and effective. Though I've never tried their window visors, they're more known for floor mats.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 01:05 PM

Had them on 2006 Kia Sorento for 11 years, replaced the tape after 7 years. Weathertech in-channel are the best, but of course the most expensive.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 09:31 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petr View Post
No offence to anyone but this is crazy, so many people still using these? They make the car look ugly as ****. Does it even work?
In Florida I think that they are a must, during the summer months it will reduce inside temps by about 20 degrees, while keeping any rain showers out. If you have dark Tint on windows and get dark tinted Visors you hardly notice them.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page