• 1 Post By fredct
  • 1 Post By kpauburn
  • 1 Post By realto
  • 1 Post By PAULRIDES
  • 1 Post By Chis2k

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Detailing, Yes I Do, I pay someone, Why bother!

OK, well let's start a conversation on how do you all like to take care of your car.
1 - Do you do it yourself, and how far do you take it.
2 - Just pay someone, I don't have the inclination, time, space, or equipment to do it myself!
3 - Why bother???
When I got the Gen II Prius a decade ago, I really took the car care plunge. Zaino, Mothers, Meguiars, and now my new favorite, Chemical Guys. I also invested in a Metro Air Dryer, a Stanley Mobile Tool Chest to store the chemicals and cloths I need. I bolted the Air Dryer to the top of the lid of the tool chest making for a nice portable rig.
Day 1 Now, it's Niro time.
Day 2...lets see...... I need to first wash the car. The paint is good, not perfect. As I ran my hand across the hood, fenders, etc., it feels slightly gritty. A good wash with good soap, Clay Bar it, and a good coat of wax. Ooops, my bad, I got wax on the black trim, how to clean that off? Rats, nothing seems to get it off ...G'rrrrr ...
3 weeks later ..
The car shines all day long, she looks great. BUT, that wax on the black trim is still there.... Argh..
So I Google, "How to remove wax from black trim."
"Mr Clean Magic Eraser" it's on YouTube, I check it out, Shazam, it works... no really works.
That led me to further videos, then I found Chemical Guys videos.
I hit the San Fernando Valley store up in Winnetka on Monday and bought a few things, a Foam Gun...shoots tonnes of foam, nice. Paint sealer called "Jet Seal" 1 year protection, a Super Hydrophobic sealer that's the bomb!! Clay bars, yada yada.. all well worth the loot spent!
Today it's Wednesday, get home from work at 1p, start on the car, wash it, strip off the 2 coats of Carnauba wax I had already put on, than Clay barred the car, than I applied the Jet Seal to everything. all windows, painted areas, but not the black trim... It took maybe 3 hours to do all this, and Geeze, this car is a smooth as a babeís backside and really glows! It's supposed to rain again this weekend, the rain is going to sheet off the car really nicely.
That's what I like to do, what about the rest of you, waddya do???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Kit.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	2786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Kit Inside.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	2794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chemical Guys.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	2802  

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 10:20 PM

Dare I ask you about your personal hygiene schedule and equipment or the whole house HEPA filter you must be using? ;-)

You go KK6PD!

Coincidentally, I happened to be reading PriusChat the other day and noticed posts of yours there.
KK6PD likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 11:07 PM

Chris Fix has the best videos on the net about how to clean/maintain/repair your car, bar none. On Youtube.
KK6PD likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 11:56 PM

IMHO (see attachment)...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B5D31A26-D69C-497E-9A24-304801FF5AC2_1516337803674.gif
Views:	79
Size:	946.7 KB
ID:	2810  
KK6PD likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by realto View Post
Chris Fix has the best videos on the net about how to clean/maintain/repair your car, bar none. On Youtube.
I checked his site out, very good at fixing, repair, maintenance but only about 15 vids on car cleaning. I watched about 20 or so of his fix it vids, not bad. I can see why he has the audience that he does. The guys got a talent!
Chemical Guys have over 500 vids, all on cleaning and maintaining the cars good looks inside & out!
Both are great sources of auto info, thanks for the tip!!

73's de Pat KK6PD

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 12:03 PM

Garage
I take mine to a local detailer. In between though , I use some auto glass cleaner and spray the rear windshield and brake lights because for some reason it seems like that area is a magnet for dirt/grime.
KK6PD likes this.

2017 KIA Niro EX Silky Silver/Grey Interior with Sunroof and Advanced Tech Package
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 05:19 PM

KK6PD- I think for clarity of subject, filming, and order Chris Fix is just the best. I think I'm past my serious detailing days, so I might try to find a good one locally for occasional use. I still like to wash and wax myself, and get places like the underside clean that are often neglected. I use an oscillating lawn sprinkler after the winter. I've never used the soap bomb, I might have to try it.
KK6PD likes this.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 09:55 PM

Wash it now and then, gets pretty dirty in between.

Sometimes just clean off the rear (dirt catcher). Seldom wax a car. Kind of think it is all a waste of time. OH! I do clean windows when needed.

Don't get much snow threat here, but we do some and they spray that brine all over which makes a mess. Do try to wash that off as soon as I can.

Cars are garage kept, guess that helps maintain the paint as never had a problem.

I do use a car soap with wax (they say it is).
KK6PD likes this.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 12:44 AM

I own a sports car and was into the whole detailing thing. For this car, I'm going to use Powerlock polymer sealant...and then maybe a coat or two of Collinite 845 to get that deep shine. My car is a darker color so the payoff will be amazing! Just took delivery earlier this month and weather is finally nice enough to do all that. I'll try to post some pics once I'm done.
KK6PD likes this.

2018 Kia Niro Touring Edition - Deep Cerulean Blue with Light Gray Interior
2002 Honda S2000 Roadster - Sebring Silver with Red Interior

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page