Niro EX Replacement Rims and any effect on Mileage? - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

That is a snazzy looking car. It does make it look far more upscale than we have with the plastic hubcaps that are supposed to help reduce wind drag around the wheels.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 05:57 PM
Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Have you confirmed a persistent warning with no TPMS installed on wheels? Or the just the failure on one wheel?
Yes the warning comes up on dash then you have to reset to wherever screen you use plus the Tpms warning is always there.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 08:09 AM

Interesting. They should have included a way to turn off such a warning. Some markets, like Canada, there is no TPMS installed at all. Just one line of programming. It is likely the dealer can make such a change.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Interesting. They should have included a way to turn off such a warning. Some markets, like Canada, there is no TPMS installed at all. Just one line of programming. It is likely the dealer can make such a change.

Sorry I don't get your logic there. Just because “Transport Canada’s research has not identified that TPMS provide any potential safety benefits to Canadians,” doesn't mean that if you car comes with a TPMS sensor installed that you should be able to simply turn it off. From Kia's perspective, if they did then they open themselves up to getting sued by some moron who will say they didn't realize the system was turned off and when they got into an accident that could have been prevented has the system been turned on.

The thought is if the warning light on your dash is so bothersume every morning, it only costs a few hundred dollars to get it fixed.

GTA - Canada.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:37 AM

A few hundred dollars for something you can check manually with a one dollar gauge? Don't get your logic. There was a similar diatribe I read recently about the lack of a low washer fluid warning. Big safety issue and poster had not had a car that didn't have it. Well, I've never had a car that had it, and the Niro is my first car with TPMS. I like it, but would I have paid a few hundred dollars more for it as an option? No.

If TPMS was a selling feature, I'd think Kia would have included it in Canada. No reason to wait until mandated by law. It was mandated in the US following the Firestone scandal in the US where tread separation caused a lot of deaths in the rollover prone Ford Explorer in the late 1990s. Mandated TPMS had quite a delay, not taking effect until the 2007 model year. Of course, TPMS would not have prevented these deaths, typical regulatory overkill. Canadians did not overreact then and still haven't. What does that tell you? Rational regulation or lobbyist influence?

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
If TPMS was a selling feature, I'd think Kia would have included it in Canada. No reason to wait until mandated by law. It was mandated in the US following the Firestone scandal in the US where tread separation caused a lot of deaths in the rollover prone Ford Explorer in the late 1990s. Mandated TPMS had quite a delay, not taking effect until the 2007 model year. Of course, TPMS would not have prevented these deaths, typical regulatory overkill. Canadians did not overreact then and still haven't. What does that tell you? Rational regulation or lobbyist influence?

But I live in Canada and my 2018 Niro came with the TPMS pressure sensors standard. I don't know why someone decided that they don't come with Canadain versions of the Niro? We don't have any of the UVO software connectivity right now, but that has nothing to do with wheel tire pressure safety. I am very impressed with how it works on the Niro, in I get individual wheel sensor readings rather than just a ! in a triagnle to say that something is wrong but no idea what.

GTA - Canada.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
A few hundred dollars for something you can check manually with a one dollar gauge? Don't get your logic. There was a similar diatribe I read recently about the lack of a low washer fluid warning. Big safety issue and poster had not had a car that didn't have it. Well, I've never had a car that had it, and the Niro is my first car with TPMS. I like it, but would I have paid a few hundred dollars more for it as an option? No.

I don't know that it is a selling feature, but TPMS is included on the Niro in Canada. Has been since its release. Maybe not the lower models, but I have it on my '17 EX Prem. It's a nice to have, but shouldn't be relied on.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

How does the Niro TPMS decide if the tires are low on air? Is it doing it by rotational frequency of the wheels? The tire pressure display shows around 47 for each tire. Is that the psi? That seems to be a lot of it is. All my other cars are around lower to mid 30ís.

2018 HEV Niro EX Metal Stream with Advanced Tech Package
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Yes. That is the PSI. The tpms system had a transmitter attached to each of the wheels. if you climb under the car and look you can see the small wire running to the sensor around the middle of the hub. Then it has a set of recievers inside each of the tires that have a centrifical switch I believe so they don't turn on until you are driving with enough speed to flip the switch. (some are motion activated) Then they respond back to the sensor the PSI along with the temp of the air inside.

The warning light is generally triggered by ether a large change in PSI or if one sensor is different from any of the others. So if your sensors were all at reading your 47psi and then dropped down to 5psi, it would trigger an event. Also likewise, if one wheel is at 37psi and the rest are at your 47psi then you would also get a warning. You don't need to have a flat to get a trigger event.

As for your tires being rather high. The max PSI rating for these tires I believe is actually 55psi. so running them at 47 is totally fine. you are getting a better fuel economy from the tires as your dropping your rolling resistance, but at the cost of a much harsher ride as there is not as much bounce in your tire to absorb road bumps.
Nouseformonkeys likes this.

GTA - Canada.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:41 PM

Sorry, didn't know Canadian Niros came with TPMS. Canadian Ioniq owners report no TPMS and I assumed the same was true for Niros.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page