Niro EX Replacement Rims and any effect on Mileage? - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Niro EX Replacement Rims and any effect on Mileage?

One of the few disappointments of my 2018 Niro are the rims and covers. The description on the website stated Alloy Wheels with Full Covers or something like that and I totally missed the covers part. But, I didnít want to move up to the Touring Trim with the 19Ē wheels.

Has anyone replaced their wheels? And did you notice a hit on mpg?

2018 HEV Niro EX Metal Stream with Advanced Tech Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

The plastic covers are totally cosmetic. So if you are happy with the black aloy behind the covers, then simply remove them. There are loads of off the shelf 3rd party rims that have the correct size, offset and bolt pattern that are hub-centric if you want to change the hubs. You will likely not see any difference in the MPG if you stick with the same size tires. The 18" rims have a wider tire so they have a greater rolling resistance. if you went with a 15" rim and put on a 195/70R15 tire that just a thinner, then you would get an improved MPG. As well, a 15" rim will likely weigh less, where an 18" rim would be heavier.

I have a set of 17" rims from my old Edge, but I am getting rid of them as the cost of the tire along with the added rolling resistance doens't make it worth keeping them. My plan is to use the Michelin tires for the next 3 years then toss them and likely upgrade to a set of Nokian WRG3 SUV tires that I can use year round. I will just live with the rims and covers as they don't bother me even though I know the plastic covers with likely crack and die withing the next 4 years (from past experiance) and I will just have the back aloy rims as they are fine by me.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have installed the original tires on new aftermarket alloy 16 inch mags and will install winter tires with the original black alloy mags without the cover caps.!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 12:08 PM
Roy

I was planning on doing the same thing but meant buying sensors extra $200. Seems cheaper to just change tires each spring and fall. Tires only last 2-3 years then you have to change out anyways.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 02:37 PM

You don't have to buy sensors. Check pressure manually. My tires last much longer than a couple years, and their lifespan would double if I had two sets of tires.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 09:59 PM
Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
You don't have to buy sensors. Check pressure manually. My tires last much longer than a couple years, and their lifespan would double if I had two sets of tires.
Donít find that check pressure warning on dashboard annoying?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

The sensors are there for a reason. We are supposed to check the tire pressure on our wheels every couple of weeks at a minimum. Honestly, over the past year how often have, you checked? My wife got some new tires for her old Kia Sportage after she went out shopping and came back to the car to find one tire totally flat. It wasn't that there was a puncture, but rather the sidewalls had degraded enough with age they started to leak even though there was loads of tread left on the tire.

Her new tires for whatever reason, one of them had a slow and inconsistent leak. It would be fine for most of the time then suddenly it seemed to lose pressure. I had checked her tires on the weekend and they were all correct. By the Thursday, the one tire was running 15psi. Again, no puncture and I pumped it up to the required 40psi and it held that for the next 4 weeks. Why did it loose pressure? when did it loose pressure? luckily it was a rear tire and not a front one that you need the psi to keep good steering. A TPMS would have told her that a tire was losing pressure when it happened. I don't know if she had been driving for one day or four with the low pressure. She said the ever so helpful, it looked wrong a few days ago, but didn't bother to check the pressure, or even tell me.

So you might think TPMS is a waste of time, but don't go around thinking that it doesn't do anything. it's like the crash avoidance. You should not need it, but it could save your life.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 10:27 AM

When a tire loses enough pressure to trigger a warning, it will be readily visible. Useful enough if ever checked on the dash to optimize efficiency, or for ultra low profile tires that always look flat.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Donít find that check pressure warning on dashboard annoying?
Have you confirmed a persistent warning with no TPMS installed on wheels? Or the just the failure on one wheel?

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 03:45 PM

I replaced my stock rims with chrome aluminum rims and they weigh the same as stock. I used the stock sensors and tires and the mpg's did not change.

charlesH and Nouseformonkeys like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page