2018 Niro EX - What are those clear stickers ar the corner of rear doors? - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

2018 Niro EX - What are those clear stickers ar the corner of rear doors?

This is the first vehicle that I’ve owned that have these rectangular shaped, clear plastic stickers on the bottom of the rear doors. What are they for? Were they used in shipping and my dealer’s crack prep guy failed to remove them?

I’ve seen other cars with them and I always wondered what they’re for. And they’re always yellowing and have crud built up around the edges.

2018 HEV Niro EX Metal Stream with Advanced Tech Package

Last edited by Nouseformonkeys; 11-17-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 08:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouseformonkeys View Post
This is the first vehicle that Iíve owned that have these rectangular shaped, clear plastic stickers on the bottom of the rear doors. What are they for? Were they used in shipping and my dealerís crack prep guy failed to remove them?

Iíve seen other cars with them and I always wondered what theyíre for. And theyíre always yellowing and have crud built up around the edges.
I think they are to protect the paint in that area from chips due to rocks and grit being thrown up by the wheels. The material looks the same as the clear bra stuff some people put on the front of their cars for the same purpose. My guess is that after the car went into production they discovered that there was some quirk of airflow around the bottom of the car that made that spot really susceptible to damage from road debris. Too late to go back to the wind tunnel and massage the body shape, so slap a clear bra sticker on it and ship it! As an engineer I can appreciate the simple solutions.

So the short version is, it's literally a band-aid fix to a problem.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Well thatís disappointing.

Has anyone taken theirs off?

2018 HEV Niro EX Metal Stream with Advanced Tech Package
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 05:12 PM

yeah it's a protective layer from debris kick up or tar. tar will come off more easily than from paint surface.
i've seen this on all kinds of cars.

--------------2019 DCBlue LX Tech Pkg----------
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:50 AM

It's a protective film. I don't know if this is the same brand than Kia offers as an option for protective film on the front of the car.

It's certainly removable, like other film, but should not. Shipping that corner on a side walk, or a rock coming from your wheel, would guaranty that are to rust in no time. Fixing corners like these are a pain, never look like nothing happened, and will stay weaker that the rest of the panel. I would suggest a film patch after doing the job.

I had this at several locations on my previous Toyota. So it was acting as both a chip and rust protection. I wish Kia was a bit more generous.

2018 FE, MA

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page