Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Fuelly?

15K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  yticolev 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a Fuelly account to log their mpg info and all of that good stuff?

It would be helpful considering we would all love to compare mpg with each other and see real world results and combine it all into one thread :)

http://www.fuelly.com/

#9 · (Edited)
I had to look up the fuel tank capacity too, 11.8 US Gal.

My anecdotal fuel milage;
51.5 on 50 mile test drive.
49.8 on 98 mile drive home with new Niro.
60.6 coming home from work (tailwind) :)

My overall mileage reset when I bought gas but I think we will experience around 47+ eventually... the wife has a lead foot. LOL

#12 ·
See my sig...don’t drive a lot but ready for another fill in a couple days. Yes IMO the onboard computer runs high in the MPG reporting. I’d say it’s 3 mpg high. Will check again on my next fill. I keep notes on my pump receipt.

#14 ·
So here’s my latest Fuelly. Up from the last fill which was a road trip out of town. This current fill is about 2.x mpg higher than the onboard computer was saying. I forgot to note it on my gas receipt...doh! Iirc it was saying 49.x and Fuelly says 47.4, so not too off this time. It’s still a help in letting a driver know the current ballpark

#16 ·
I was wondering the same thing. I filled up at the end of a long trip even though the tank wasn't empty just so that I could see what the MPG was running as a hybrid (the EV-only was depleted). Fuelly tells me I got 51.2. Pretty happy with that.

I suspect we will have to do some math to separately calculate the mileage we are getting from the electricity we are pouring in versus the gasoline we are pouring in. Fuelly doesn't have that feature yet.

#19 ·
I get horrible gas mileage on my Niro. All winter long it was 29-38 MPG. The ONLY reason I bought the Niro was because of its alleged good gas mileage. I have a 60 mike commute to work. I’ve complained over and over to the dealer and the dealer does and says nothing. It was good for the first 2 months. I drove from Omaha to Oklahoma this weekend and averaged 39.

#21 ·
I get horrible gas mileage on my Niro. All winter long it was 29-38 MPG. ... I drove from Omaha to Oklahoma this weekend and averaged 39.

Which Niro do you have? The Touring edition is only supposed to get 42 mpg overall (if I am remembering correctly), so 39 is within striking distance of that, and not too terrible. But if you have one of the "lower-end" models like me (an EX, in my case) then you definitely should be getting higher mpg.

#20 ·
I picked up my Niro in the dead of winter and my first fill was 42 mpg, but included fast interstate trips at 75 mph. Until May, never got above 50 mpg. Now I'm getting 58 mpg in hot weather not exceeding 65 mpg. I also have the base narrow tires.

If you have the heavier model with the wide tires, getting low forties with high speed commutes is expected. Thirties is really bad! Are you leaving it in Sport mode? Still, I bet it is better than your last car presumably driven similarly.

#24 ·
I added my Niro to my Fuelly account when I bought it, but since I haven't added any gas yet it still show 0.0 MPG. Based on what I'm seeing on the dash readout, it might be some time before I have to add gas. It's reporting 120 MPG average since I drove it home a few days ago, and the gas gauge is still pegged on full. Since the entire drive home from the dealer was on EV, it said 999 MPG. I can get used to numbers like that! :)

#26 ·
When you log into Fuelly, then select your car, scroll down towards the bottom. Right under the logbook there's a bunch of page links. Click "Badges" and you will be given both BBCode and HTML for either the large or small sig line image. I believe this site uses the BBCode style.

Reactions: Spiritwalker2222
#28 ·
What I did was show a fillup on the day I bought the car (the dealer did give me a full tank), just showed 0.1 gallons added, and entered the odometer reading for when I accepted delivery. Close enough to start the tracking. :D

Reactions: Spiritwalker2222
#29 ·
Thanks to you folks whom posts on Fuelly, I now have a 2019 S Touring. I was expecting 45mpg based on the average # but I have achieved 51.4 on my first tank. Hybrid is definitely good for commuting on "busy" roads like DC traffic. I am sure interstate driving in 70-80mph will substantially reduce MPG but I am a happy camper comparing to by previous RX350 that averaged 19-20mpg. and range close to 500 miles is what I like the most about my Niro.

#30 ·
I am sure interstate driving in 70-80mph will substantially reduce MPG but I am a happy camper comparing to by previous RX350 that averaged 19-20mpg. and range close to 500 miles is what I like the most about my Niro.
I took a freeway trip from the Seattle area to Ellensburg and back, about 250 miles total. This included crossing two mountain passes each way, and I maintained about 70-75 MPH where the speed limit and traffic permitted. I was also using the Sport mode, which reduces MPG slightly while putting a little charge back into my PHEV battery. My MPG for the entire trip was about 52, so I wouldn't expect a major impact with yours. My son-in-law has an Ioniq hybrid, which is roughly the same powertrain as the Niro hybrid. With his heavier throttle foot, he still sees about 55 MPG, and I've taken his car to work a few times and got about 62 MPG. The Niro is extremely efficient. :D

Yeah, I was staying in Chantilly for about 4 months a couple of years ago. Spent plenty of time on I-66. Having a hybrid will absolutely be worthwhile there! ;)

#33 ·
No matter the environmental or driving style for your trip to NC, you still got a "free" equivalent to a little more half gallon of gas for charging just once. Take that away, and your mpg is lower. Your round trip is about 750 miles. 30 miles of plug in juice represents about 4% of total energy. So if your figure of 50 mpg is accurate, you only got 48 mpg in hybrid mode. I get about 57 mpg in my HEV in the summertime (if no inclement weather or unfavorable wind).

#34 ·
Sure, but you just made my point for me. The EPA rating for the PHEV is 48 city / 44 highway. Even accounting for starting with a full battery I beat that by almost 10%. And that's pure 100% 65+ mph miles with a lot of 70+ thrown in for good measure. Plus, I wasn't deliberately trying to maximize efficiency, I was just going with the flow of traffic. So my initial comment stands. It's pretty easy to beat the EPA estimates.

#38 ·
Again, that's what we're talking about, HEV mileage in the PHEV. I'm not saying that the 250mpg I got on the last tank is meaningful in terms of HEV efficiency. What both @atc98092 and I are saying is that when driving the PHEV in HEV mode on long trips without charging it's quite possible to exceed the EPA estimated mileage. Are we going to get results comparable to the FE model? No, of course not, we are carrying the extra weight of the PHEV battery plus other differences that impact mileage. What we can do, and have done, is easily and significantly exceed the 44mpg highway rating for the PHEV. I think we've both demonstrated that high 40's are achievable over long distances. Is that a lot? Depends on your point of view. 10% seems pretty good to me.

Look, you are easily exceeding the EPA estimates for your model. Some of that is due to your mods, some due to your driving style, and some due to the conditions you generally drive in. A lot of the same variables apply to everyone else. I regularly beat the predicted mileage for my completely un-modded 2001 VW TDI. The EPA estimate is 42 city / 49 highway. I average mid 50's in mixed use (the fact that a 2018 vehicle with the advantage of complex hybrid technology basically equals the performance of a 2001 car is a discussion for another day). It's nothing special, just my use case and driving style let me do better. The same applies to my Niro, whether in PHEV, EV, or HEV mode.

#39 ·
atc's original post was to an HEV owner trying to reassure them about efficiency. Let me make this super simple: any reported mpg by a PHEV owner is simply a reflection of how often they charge and is misleading to any HEV reader (and PHEV owners as well). Completely meaningless.

Mpg reports by hybrid owners are already subject to lack of relevance to other owners as they seldom mention the underlying variables such as: temperature, inclement weather, wind, terrain, and speed. Nor often whether they top off, or fill to "first click" at random pumps, or even if they are reporting estimated mpg or calculated mpg. Multiply those variables by random charges of PHEV owners and you can see the problems of quoting PHEV "mpg". I understand you are proud of your "mpg", I have a PHEV owning friend who touts her "mpg" no matter how many times I tell her it is irrelevant. Kind of like a BEV owner saying his mpg is really high. Mpg just doesn't mix well with kWh except for the most calculating of PHEV owners with charge stations and spreadsheets to back them up.

Yes, my own peak mileage is also irrelevant, but at least I do calculate mpg and mention optimum conditions. I do not exceed EPA rating easily (or at all) at zero degrees Fahrenheit. I also do not exceed EPA ratings in rain no matter the temperature. Currently my lifetime 24,000 mile average is a bit over 52 mpg, slightly exceeding EPA ratings. That could be relevant to other users in the same climate zone as me, and is what is important, not single trip mpg.

#42 ·
Currently my lifetime 24,000 mile average is a bit over 52 mpg, slightly exceeding EPA ratings. That could be relevant to other users in the same climate zone as me, and is what is important, not single trip mpg.

my 19 Touring is averaging 53+mpg in second tank [quarter used] so far. i think it actually went up 1-2 mpg because I am not using AC and cooler temp. so the EPA rating is 6-7 miles lower for Touring model because of 100-ish + lbs and 18 inch wheel are way underestimated? I was expecting 45mpg based on fuelly but i am a happy camper with current MPG. Oh, and I am running 38psi but it shows 36psi this morning because of cooler temperature. this week, i will be checking without crossbar but with vent shade in place. because I drive with driver window cracked opened all year, i really need the vent-shade to reduce wind noise and prevent rain from entering. I don't expect vent-shade to cause any additional drag.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.