Adaptive mileage readout? - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 12:05 AM

Garage
I played around with my car today. Turned the heat on and off, turned the A/C on and off, turned the fans up and down, etc.

The mileage estimate changed on my screen immediately whenever I did any of those things. For example, turned the AC on, miles dropped from 26 to 24 instantly. Turned it off, miles bumped up to 26 instantly.

It seems the system is pretty good at figuring out how much parasitic energy you're using from the car at any given time.

Also, I was careful to drive my car this morning without using the IC engine at all (and left the heater off, fans off, etc), and logged pretty much exactly 26 miles before it ran out of EV juice. That was with a relatively aggressive driving style, mashing the gas pedal from a stop as far as I could without triggering the IC engine (50%-ish? Basically I've found you can keep it from using the IC engine as long as you keep the needle at or below the mark between "normal" and "power". Once it hits the "power" area and/or about 75mph, it usually trigger the IC to turn on). So the estimate, as far as I can tell, seems dead on for me. It would probably be a few miles more if I drove like a grandma.

2018 PHEV

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 11-08-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 08:22 AM

75 mph is the highest speed I've seen in my hybrid in EV mode. I would have thought you could baby a PHEV a bit higher, but the software is in control.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 12:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
75 mph is the highest speed I've seen in my hybrid in EV mode. I would have thought you could baby a PHEV a bit higher, but the software is in control.

About 80mph is my max in the PHEV, but starting at about 65mph, the ICE turns on more frequently... say, at 25% throttle (rather than 75% when at lower speeds), and at about 75mph anything more than about 5% throttle turns on the ICE. At 80mph, the ICE turns on if you even look at the gas pedal.

It doesn't seem like it does it because the EV motor doesn't have the power for it, rather I think the software does this because the ICE is more efficient at that speed than the EV motor/battery.

2018 PHEV

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 11-08-2018 at 12:29 PM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 12:36 PM

Garage
I just made this quick chart to (very roughly) illustrate how speed seems to correlate with the max throttle % before ICE turns on:

2018 PHEV
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 01:33 AM

ICE turns on when power is required. That required power is acceleration desired on top of a air pressure base. The air pressure goes up in a chase curve just like your graph (I would have expected a sharper rate of increase than your graph) as speed increases, becoming significant (noticeable) at around 30 miles an hour.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 02:46 AM

Garage
Very well could be a sharper curve than what I drew, I didn't base that on any real data whatsoever, just meant it to roughly illustrate what I meant earlier about a throttle input/ICE activation curve as it relates to speed.

2018 PHEV
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 03:36 PM

Hot Battery Charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontfret View Post
And I made the mistake of treating it like an EV car, coming home and plugging it in hot to recharge. I learned (and apply now to the Niro PHEV) of using the charge on schedule to charge around 1AM (I have a 240 charging station at home) so it's cold when charged and will be done shortly before I leave in the morning.
I'm brand new to my Kia PHEV LX (bought it last Saturday!), so please excuse me if I'm asking something obvious and/or already answered elsewhere. If I do a "hot recharge", i.e. plugging in as soon as I get home, that reduces the battery life? Does the ambient temperature of the garage matter as well? I live in western Washington state and have an insulated garage, so my garage doesn't get really hot or cold at any time, but I didn't know that plugging in on arrival could be harmful to the batteries!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page