Fresh Fuel - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Fresh Fuel

Here's a good problem to have: I've had my PHEV for a month, driven almost 1000 miles, and I still have nearly the original full tank of gas. Should I worry about the gas getting "old" in the tank? Perhaps I should add a fuel stabilizer?

2018 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium - Aurora Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddlingNiro View Post
Here's a good problem to have: I've had my PHEV for a month, driven almost 1000 miles, and I still have nearly the original full tank of gas. Should I worry about the gas getting "old" in the tank? Perhaps I should add a fuel stabilizer?
Good question. I'm in the same situation.

I know it's recommended to not store gas through the winter in a lawnmower. So maybe one should burn gas after a few months.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:29 PM

I believe the gas tank is pressurized. Nothing like a lawnmower subject to evaporation.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
I believe the gas tank is pressurized. Nothing like a lawnmower subject to evaporation.
The issue isn't evaporation. The issue is gas going bad. I know with lawnmowers, it is recommended to drain you tank for the winter or use a gas treatment like sta-bil . Otherwise, idle jets may become clogged.

"About 3-5 months depending on where it's kept. If you add a fuel stabilizer it'll last 6-8 months. You only have to add a small amount, and it's sold in small bottles at convenience stores, auto stores, etc."

Last edited by charlesH; 06-30-2018 at 05:39 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:41 PM

There are no idle jets in modern cars. But if there were carburetors, the jets would get clogged with residue left from evaporation.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
There are no idle jets in modern cars. But if there were carburetors, the jets would get clogged with residue left from evaporation.
modern cars have injectors which can get clogged, no?

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 07:27 AM

It used to be debris until fuel filters were fitted. No, not a modern problem. As I remember, gasoline standards had to be tightened though for fuel injectors.

Compared with a carburetor, the amount of gas standing around available for evaporation is vanishingly small.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddlingNiro View Post

If you live in a state that allows the sale of real old fashioned NON ethanol gas at gas stations (New York state does!!) the best option is to use NON ethanol gas, period. Ethanol does break down after prolonged storage/non use...........it clogs up fuel injectors, and even if you use it regularly, does not offer the best MPG available to any car, standard gas car or hybrid.............. ethanol is EVIL.........it's the product of lies from both the Corn farmer lobbyists and Republicans that wanted to sell MORE corn,,,,,,,,to be turned into ethanol,,,,,,,,,,,,, shortages of corn led to higher feed prices for farmers which led to higher meat prices for us............. then on top of that it destroys lawn mowers, snow blowers, chain saws and boat motors in record numbers every year,,,,,,,,,thus lining the pockets of repair shops and/or selling of new equipment that has been damaged..................last slap in the face is that ethanol requires MORE energy to produce, so it's biggest hypocrisy/lie that it was supposed to be more environmentally friendly, and reduce our dependence on foreign oil is all LIES................ if you can, buy ethanol free gas,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, your Niro, car, lawnmower, snow blower, boat motor will be much happier and you wont be lining the pockets of the crooks that fed us this b.s. from day 1
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 09:59 AM

Garage
LOL...I was recently wondering same thing. I'm at about 980 miles on the odometer at the moment and have about 1/2 of the original tank of gas still in it (3 weeks old today).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are two types of people in the world. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 09:56 PM

I have a PHEV and was driving it almost entirely on electric for over 4 months without adding any fuel. Then I went on a road trip which used up the old gas. No problems.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page