Anyone looking into Winter Tires? - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Anyone looking into Winter Tires?

For next winter i'm starting to weigh out our winter tire (and wheel) options. At the most fundamental level, tire size is 225/55R17, the OEM size you can stick with or use to figure size more preferable to you.

Historically, I would always run Blizzak's from Bridgestone and X-ICE from Michelin but i'm open to hearing what the men and women here have to suggest.

For now either Blizzak's or X-ICE XI3's will be my default.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 02:29 PM

Definitely, I always go for winter tires. I don't trust and/or believe in all-seasons as they just aren't good for any season directly lol. Don't provide enough grip in the summer or winter. WS80 are the winter tires I'll be shooting for, for the winter however. One of the best tires produced for winter time (that aren't studded)
Neo likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:48 PM

Are 16" wheels the smallest that will fit the niro and clear the brakes?

What about skinnier tires?
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:57 PM
Neo

I will be putting on snows. Waiting for a closeout deal from Tire Rack to appear.

I have an LX and will be sticking with the 16 in. wheels. I think I read on the Kia Forum that the rim width is 6.5 in., you should double check that. I would check with Tire Rack to see how skinny you can go with that rim.

The Blizzak and X-ice are very nice. I am hoping to try out the contentials (sp?) this time. Check the Tire Tack test reports.

Neo

I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid. You're afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to show these people a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 03:49 PM

I'm trying to figure this one out as well...visited TireRack and PMCTire...both don't offer tire/wheel packages yet for the Niro....I'm running the Touring model, but won't replace the the 18" wheels and rims "one for one"...but thought moving down to the smaller 205/60-16's would be the way to go....

The tires won't be a problem (I run Blizzaks as well) but the wheels are so far a concern...

Also...Weathertech doesn't make the laser fitted floor mates for the Niro yet....which is disappointing....
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 11:03 PM
Neo

Speaking of 16 in. wheels, I hear that the FE and LX OEM wheel is very nice alloy wheel. I am hoping to find a set of those for the snow tires.

Neo

I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid. You're afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to show these people a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:11 PM

As far as I can find out the Niro is 5 studs at 114 pitch circle with 40 mm offset for the 16 inch wheels. I am not sure about the center hole diameter and wonder if that has to be correct for the wheels I am going to buy for winter tires. I also do not plan on installing TPM sensors since they will only be on the car for 3-4 months and they are very expensive. Does anyone know if the tire monitor light will just come on (not a problem) or will it come on and flash continuously ( a problem for me)????
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:07 AM

Can't really help since winter is over already, but you could try asking your local dealership and see what they say. Maybe try more than one so they aren't giving you a biased answer in order to sell you something.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 11:16 AM

I am starting to look for winter tires. Anyone have any luck with sizing that might be irregular? I am running th 16? version. Just wondering if I can gain some clearance with a different size of winter tire. What might be a good method of measuring this. Or Is there a sizing chart somewhere that any of you know about?

Thanks in advance.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 06:14 PM

Just looked at TR and priced the Michelin X-Ice with rims ~ $800+

Wondering whether I can get by without adding the TPMS to these for an extra $50 per tire.

Anyone know what happens if you just omit TPMS for the winter if swapping rims?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page