A tip for those about to get their regular service done - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By RedWouldForrest
  • 1 Post By grnd0

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

A tip for those about to get their regular service done

I got my 15,000 mile service done last week - just an oil change and tire rotation. (It was free, my first service done at the dealership point-of-purchase...)

I would have been far better off paying someone else to do it. ANYONE else.

When I arrived home (about 35 miles), 2 of the 4 hubcaps were missing. The remaining 2 were barely holding on. The dealership did a tire rotation but failed to "snap in" the hubcaps when reinstalling, resulting in the loss of 2 VERY EXPENSIVE hubcaps.

Dealership is taking no responsibility for the error AT ALL. Going to have to pay for their mistake myself.

ALWAYS check your dealership's work. ALWAYS. And if you can go to an alternate service provider who is known for standing behind their work, go there instead.

From now until the day I sell this car, (HOPEFULLY VERY SOON), I will be doing my own maintenance. And the few jobs I need a dealership to do (recalls etc) will require a road trip and a hotel stay. I will *NEVER* bring my car(s) to the local dealership, EVER AGAIN.

If you have a professional, conscientious local dealership, consider yourself VERY LUCKY.
safari likes this.

Last edited by RedWouldForrest; 07-23-2018 at 03:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:40 AM

What?????? The hubcaps are bolted on.
realto likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnd0 View Post
What?????? The hubcaps are bolted on.
Yes, sounds like a forest of tall tales, I mean trees.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Wow, that would mean that the dealership didn't even reinstall those 2 hubcaps at all. Even worse, because I should have noticed that. That explains why I never saw the hubcaps rolling down the road.

So despite the other 2 hubcaps not being snapped in around the circumference, they wouldn't have come off.

Thanks for the clarification, guys. Now I have a better idea of what really happened.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 12:05 PM

The only Kia Dealers in Northern California are Redding or Yuba City. There are a few also in Sacramento.
Which one was yours?
I received great service from the Yuba City dealer while we had our 2010 Soul.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Sacramento is Central CA, despite what "NorCal" residents will attest. Redding is still a 5+ hr drive from me.

Try the REAL NorCal.

Eureka, Ca. Harper Motors. Probably the most unprofessional car dealership in the USA. (My 15,000 service, which was an oil change and tire rotation, took over 4 hours. REALLY.)

If you have a close-to-almost-competent dealership local to you, consider yourself lucky. Yes, I know that I pay a BIG price for living in a remote paradise... but my advice to those of you smart enough to pick your own "paradise" - BUY USED AND BE SATISFIED.

Last edited by RedWouldForrest; 07-26-2018 at 03:30 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Note that I would not have called out my local dealer if I had not already decided that I will NEVER, EVER give them any business, ever again. From now until I sell this car (hopefully TOMORROW), I will drive down to Santa Rosa for ALL service that I cannot perform & document myself.

And my initial advice stands - DON'T TRUST YOUR DEALERSHIP'S SERVICE DEPT BLINDLY. Do visual checks after ALL service done, to help ensure that the work was actually performed - and correctly. I mean, COME ON - for $120+/hr, they better **** WELL be performing their work at a PROFESSIONAL level, PERIOD. NO exceptions, NO excuses.

Last edited by RedWouldForrest; 07-26-2018 at 03:50 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 06:44 PM

This reminded me of a time many years ago that after an oil change I noticed my hood looked out of alignment. I opened it up and found an electric screw driver jammed in there.

I kept it and never went back
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWouldForrest View Post
Sacramento is Central CA, despite what "NorCal" residents will attest. Redding is still a 5+ hr drive from me.

Try the REAL NorCal.

Eureka, Ca.
Ah yes, the Redwood Curtain. At least you finally got a Walmart! I've spent a lot of time there working at St Joseph. Never considered that a bad Kia dealership might be part of their staffing problems.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page