Anyone interested in stock rims for full size spare? - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roru View Post
I'm a firm believer in winter tires, even though I don't live in an area with bad winters. I do drive to go skiing frequently though. I'm currently figuring out what to do wheel-wise for my winter tires. I would just do it all via TireRack, but they don't have the compatible TPMS sensors. My setup must include those, so I may have to purchase things separately. I am interested in the Kia 16" wheels, but not if the price is much higher than decent aftermarket wheels.
I've been dealing with Discount Tire for over 10 years and have had pretty satisfactory service out of them. I used to use Tire Rack until I got a set of tires that would not balance, despite four or five tries on the road force balance machine at a local dealer. I had to jump through lots of hoops to return them, much of it government-class BS. I had to drive 20 miles to "an approved dealer," which was a truck stop, and have the expert there analyze the problem.

So I drove over there, told the guy the issue, opened the trunk, he looked at the tires and said, "Yup, they're bad."

Dealing with someone in town who can be held somewhat accountable is far preferable to me.
Dovidan likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:18 AM

Location: Seattle WA. No Niro yet but PHEV likely in my future
A second vote for the loca Discount Tire stores. Over the past 30 years I have used two different Discount stores in W WA. Both have had great service, prices and they can get you any tire you want. In the past I have asked them to match Tire Racks prices (cost of tires & shipping) which they always did. The past few years I find that Discount's listed prices already match or a few cases beat Tire Rack pricing.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:32 AM

In the United States up in the Northern part of the Midwest they have some interesting laws concerning winter driving. In the service I was stationed outside Omaha Nebraska for a good part of my enlistment.

In winter if you had an accident or became stranded blocking traffic and you didn't have on winter tires then you were subjected to some pretty stiff fines. I don't know if they still have that ordinance on the books or if other municipalities have similar laws.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
Good thinking! They should be a state law for people that has a winter season with snow, ice, etc.. to make people install winter tires on their cars like us here in Quebec Canada.
Some states DO have winter tire laws. You can tell because come April or May or June you can still hear the guys with studs grinding away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
And I wished this state law would also require that the dealers that sell cars do so with said extra tires on rims so that we can switch them when winter arrives. And also that the garages that sell winter tires would actually stock them and be forced to sell them at a more reasonable price, rather than the jacked up over exageration prices they do. But they don't, so some of us dont buy winter tires considering that 95% of the winter, we don't have snow, and even when it does snow it is gone in 3-4 days.
I'm sure some dealers would be bright enough--and many would just give you a blank look--to come up with a winter set. If you price wheels & TPMS at the parts department, the whole setup--wheels, TPMS, winter tires--is likely to cost you two to three grand, vs. maybe 800-1200 at Discount Tire or Tire Rack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybrid View Post
Hello,

I recently installed new 16" rims on my new EX, replacing the stock 16" rims that come on the EX (black 5 spoke covered by plastic hub). I am thinking of using one for a full size spare tire, but would have three other rims available if anyone is interested in doing the same.
I'm interested in one, please PM me details.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page