TPMS & Winter/Summer tire swap - Kia Niro Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 11
TPMS & Winter/Summer tire swap

Hello!

New 2017 Niro owner from British Columbia, Canada!

Currently have a set of 16" Winters on steel rims that I plan to swap in when it's time and this set does not have TPMS.

What kind of issues will I have when I mount them?
Will I need to take it back to a dealer to re-program when I put the stock wheels back on during Spring?

All help is appreciated!
tiger_handheld is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 03:19 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: up-state NY
Posts: 29
I also have a set of winter rims and tires for mine. The only issue you will have is that a warning message will come up on the drivers center display every time you start your car. You just then cycle the menu to get to where you want it to be. It is a little bit of a nuisance, but not that bad for 3 months or so. I had no issues when I reinstalled my factory rims and tires back on.
You will notice your MPG will drop quite a bit from the tires and the cold.
BlueEX is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 04:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,663
You can add TPMS sensors to the winter wheels and the car will auto detect and work.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
yticolev is online now  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEX View Post
I also have a set of winter rims and tires for mine. The only issue you will have is that a warning message will come up on the drivers center display every time you start your car. You just then cycle the menu to get to where you want it to be. It is a little bit of a nuisance, but not that bad for 3 months or so. I had no issues when I reinstalled my factory rims and tires back on.
You will notice your MPG will drop quite a bit from the tires and the cold.
Awesome! Thanks!

I don't mind the light for 3 months.

Have read adding TPMS would be $60/wheel. Not looking to spend $ at the moment.
tiger_handheld is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 08:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,663
Considerably cheaper on Amazon. You might find this a good read:
https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/20...ors-for-cheap/

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
yticolev is online now  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 02:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Toronto
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgunawardana View Post
Hello!

New 2017 Niro owner from British Columbia, Canada!

Currently have a set of 16" Winters on steel rims that I plan to swap in when it's time and this set does not have TPMS.

What kind of issues will I have when I mount them?
Will I need to take it back to a dealer to re-program when I put the stock wheels back on during Spring?

All help is appreciated!
'17 EX Prem in Toronto and have similar winter/steel set-up. While the TPMS can be found cheaper for our American friends... there is nowhere I found that were considerably cheaper for Canadians. Best I found was $10-$15 less per sensor. Save the money... accuracy of the sensors are hit and miss any way.
Congee is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 02:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,663
I find them surprisingly accurate and far more consistent than the difference between regular gauges. They are a convenience, and theoretically aides safety. But I agree that you can do just fine without them, especially if you are good with regular pressure checks.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
yticolev is online now  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 04:15 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: up-state NY
Posts: 29
Does anyone know if any 433Mhz TPMS sensor will work or do you have to find ones for Kia specific cars ?
BlueEX is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 11
Good to know. Also have a 17 Ex Prem and will do as suggested.
tiger_handheld is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
I find them surprisingly accurate and far more consistent than the difference between regular gauges. They are a convenience, and theoretically aides safety. But I agree that you can do just fine without them, especially if you are good with regular pressure checks.
I really like being able to check my tires while driving. Piece of mind

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
charlesH is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flat tire options ColoNiro Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension 12 11-08-2018 05:58 PM
Has anyone purchased the spare tire kit? deroy39 Kia Niro Owners Registry And Check In Area 51 06-06-2018 05:49 PM
Tire Pressure Sensor Brubaker Kia Niro Issues, Problems And Complaints 7 02-22-2018 03:12 PM
TPMS error? Congee Kia Niro General Discussion 5 11-17-2017 10:23 AM
Rear tire camber on new Niro SocalNiro Kia Niro General Discussion 3 10-04-2017 02:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome