Tire and RIM weight - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 05:39 AM
Roy

Sorry yticolev I was thinking the diff in o.d. Was greater. What I tested was 6% diff in o.d. which gave me l/100 km 5.5 compared to 5 usual.l also took the speedometer diff into account.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:50 PM

Here is a comparison of the 16"ers with just a slightly wider tire.

Tire Size Comparison Calculator
Size 1 205/60 R16 Dia 25.7, width 8.1; Revs 786

Size 2 215/55 R16 Dia 25.3 (11.6%); Width 8.5 (+ 4.9%); Revs 797 (+11), Change in speedo at 60 mph- 59.1 mph

Potential "Benefits" of 55 series over 60 series. A bit quicker acceleration, bigger contact patch (improved handling).
Potential Negatives: Decreased mpg (hard to say how much, would be somewhat dependent on the type of tire & tread), decreased snow traction, slightly lower ride ground clearance / ride height (about 1/4").

While the Michelin Energy AS are not a bad tire, they are middle of the pack when it comes to ride comfort, handling, wet & snow traction (especially important if you live in a snow zone and don't want dedicated winter tires / rims. Both are around $100 for stock size and the Vredestein Quatrac has good fuel economy bona fides.

I'm thinking these are the two t tires for the best all season bang for the buck for the Niro
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...autoModClar=EX
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?
message=singleSize&tireMake=Continental&tireModel= TrueContact+Tour&partnum=06HR6TCT&autoMake=Kia&aut oYear=2018&autoModel=Niro+Plug-In+Hybrid&autoModClar=EX
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 05:33 PM

Garage
If you take the hub caps off and get the wheels polished would they be a polished alloy?
I have a 2018 EX PHEV.
Thanks
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:52 PM

If you polish the OEM black painted aluminum wheels, yes, they will be polished alloy.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 08:36 AM

Garage
About 5 pounds per rim or at least in this comparison that's what it was. But that's rotational inertia which has a compounded effect. Pros/cons of the larger rims (which total diameter of the combination of rim/tire stays the same).

Pros:
1. People think they look cool.
2. Better lateral grip. You can turn a faster curve.

Cons:
1. More expensive.
2. Shorter sidewalls cause rougher ride, and in my experience become easily damaged with belts breaking/wheels out of balance/other issues.
3. Also are almost always wider which reduces MPG.
4. Also are almost always wider which causes pour snow performance. Like a crippled duck.
5. Also tend to have performance rubber which is softer which reduces MPG and reduces tread life dramatically. When I had these it was hard to find a tire that would get more than 20,000 miles. They usually wore out or slipped a belt or something stupid way before that though.

I consider it as lesson learned. Two cars like that is enough for one lifetime.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 09:32 PM

Add to the pros: shorter stopping distance.

Add to the cons: Narrow sidewalls are stiffer which increases rolling resistance, even if same width. Noisier too.

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badyellowvette View Post
My 16 inch aluminum black rims weighed 19 lb. The chrome aluminum rims I put on also weighed 19 lb.
Wheel and tire or wheel only?

I'm about to rotate my tires and I'm going to weigh my OEM 18's wheel with tire on.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Add to the pros: shorter stopping distance.

Add to the cons: Narrow sidewalls are stiffer which increases rolling resistance, even if same width. Noisier too.
are you sure? Seems the opposite is true. Low rolling resistance train wheels have pretty stiff sidewalls.

Underinflated vs overinflated stiffness vs rolling resistance?

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal

Last edited by charlesH; 03-25-2019 at 08:25 AM.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:34 AM

Train wheels do not go over bumps, no need for compliance. No passengers would be able to tolerate solid steel wheels on roads, not to mention the lack of any braking or handling capability on roads. Are you serious, or just trolling?

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Train wheels do not go over bumps, no need for compliance. No passengers would be able to tolerate solid steel wheels on roads, not to mention the lack of any braking or handling capability on roads. Are you serious, or just trolling?
of course I'm serious. It is obvious that underinflated tires with less stiff sidewalls have a higher rolling resistance than overinflated tires with stiffer side walls.

Train wheels are the ultimate example of greater sidewall/tread stiffness resulting in lower rolling resistance. The disadvantages of train wheels you mention are true but not relevant to the relationship of sidewall/tread stiffness to rolling resistance.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page