Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Klank or Cracking Noise when pressing and releasing the Breaks

19K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  ronaldvflores 
#1 ·
HI does anybody hear hearing and Klank or Cracking noise whenever you go on a full stop and go again. its like metal noise, like the break pads hitting the rotors. thank you

#3 ·
I have heard an occasional grumble from the brakes when either stopping or taking off. I assume it's just a vibration in the pads or calipers as the car comes to a stop or perhaps the pads don't retract quickly enough on startup and so there is some grinding. Doesn't happen all the time for me.

#5 ·
The sound I've noticed is definitely not a relay opening or closing, it's more of a groan. I'd say it lasts around a second or so when just starting to roll. In fact the more I think about it I think it's most common when starting off slowly. If I release the brake gradually, like in a parking lot where I need to creep forward or backward, it feels like the car starts to apply power before the brakes are released which causes the noise. It could also be something in the rear suspension that either loads or unloads as the car starts to move with the brakes still engaged.

It makes sense the car would start to apply power as the brakes are being release to prevent it rolling. I'm not particularly concerned about the noise, it's just something I've noticed sometimes.

#6 ·
If I understand correctly your noise description i've had it on my renault scenic automatic for the 6 years I owned it, I have it on my subaru forester (CVT) from 2016 and I have this same noise on my 1 month old niro.
I trigger this easily as i have to go down my steep garage ramp at walking speed...so no regenerative braking: full pads against disk at very low speed : classical noise
not saying it is the noise you hear but the way you describe it , it is similar

#7 ·
I've only heard a kind of whisper noise, nothing that could be described as a "klank or cracking noise". If you hear this sound when decelerating,I'd be inclined to get it checked out - it might indicate something loose or broken in the brake hardware, and that could become dangerous. If you hear this sound when accelerating from a stop, it might be related to the hill-stop-assist logic that is designed to hold the brakes momentarily when you are stopped on a steep hill. If you think that's what it is, you might ask yourself if you maybe have a habit of pushing significantly harder on the brake pedal than is necessary when you are fully stopped. Try using a light touch and see if you still hear that sound, or not.

#8 ·
by the way if it is the same noise as me, you can reproduce it even in N in a steep ramp... no motor engaged no ICE no nothing just brakes... stop and release slowly the brakes and when the car goes push a little harder... do like if you wanted to go forward just one or 2 inches.

#12 ·
https://youtu.be/GmFrQGkTF2c

the exact noise I alwais have had on my cars for the last 10 years :)
if you have the same I would no worry :)

on the niro:

https://youtu.be/vBVnxowGJsI?t=425
Never heard that on any car I've ever owned (and I'm really glad I haven't had the experience). FWIW, I do creep ahead a few inches every day when I park in my garage. Car always wants to stop about a foot short of my target position, and then creep the remainder of the way.

#14 ·
isn't the regen off below 10km/h? the eco needle doesn't go down in a ramp taken below that speed I assumed below 10km/h it is full pad+disk brake (I think I read it somewhere, and it has its logic )

when I notice this grinding noise first on my fist car more than 10 years ago I asked the dealer and the answer was that this is normal it depended of the friction material of the pads... never searched deeper than that...

#17 ·
What can I say? I live in a hot dry climate, but it's been cold and rainy here for the past week and I've been out and about in the rain. Haven't heard anything remotely similar to the "didgeridoo" kinds of sounds that nounounounou posted. I'm glad I haven't had that experience, and somewhat sorry for those of you who have. I'm accustomed to brakes making a lot of strange noises under different conditions, but that one's outside any experience I've ever had, including a lot of years driving other kinds of cars in Maine, Vermont, and also points south.

#18 ·
i didnt say (or didn't mean to say) it always does it I just say that I can reproduce it anytime... It never does it in town or normal driving unless parking in a very tight space with milimetric movements.

Practically, releasing a little the pressure or pressing a little harder on the break pedal is enough to stop it... it only does it entering in my garage with a steep ramp and very little room for the car so I have to move inch by inch...

it is a no problem for me and I just wanted to reassure the ones that have this that there is nothing to be worried about engine or motor... just brake noise

#19 ·
a post from the ionic forum where they have same questions:
"Hi. I have finally found a solution to the brake noise. It happens to certain countries where if your country uses a brake pad 58101 G2A10 like mine ( so far i only find out UK, and Malaysia uses this model), it looks like in the pic below, which is flat, no slot and no chamfer.
https://ibb.co/bzR3VT0

If you are from the US, you will not be experiencing any brake noise because theirs are 58101 G2A00 which has a slanted slot like pic below
https://ibb.co/qxtwhsR

So, what i did, i changed to a third party compatible brake pad which has a slot and chamfer. No more noise. i used a normal frixa FPH37
https://ibb.co/yFBygLd

Hope that i've helped."

so here we are: diferent country diferent pads different issues

#20 ·
grinding and metallic brake sound

At highway speed heard grinding noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. When moved forward or back from standing strong metallic sound was heard. Lifted the vehicle and strong metallic sound came from left rear wheel when turned in both directions.
Removed the wheel, loosened the brake disc and found rather large rock between the brake disc and the shield. Please see the attached picture.
After removal of the rock and installing the wheel the noise is gone.
It may not be a bad idea to check for foreign object in the brakes if you experience some strange noise in the brakes. The gap between the brake disc and the shield is relatively large especially near the calipers.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.