Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Stock wheels, hubcaps removed, centerpiece..

23K views 46 replies 14 participants last post by  Tex88 
#1 ·
Like several of you, i removed the stock hubcap to expose the cooler looking black wheel but i have not been able to find a black center cap for the middle, has anyone found one?

p.s. i did buy one set from Kia that was too small, it was a centerpiece for the hubcap and not the wheel.

#3 ·
I am going to remove the wheel covers at my next tire rotation and go with the black wheels also. I saw a friends newer Subaru Outback Sport recently, and the stock black rims look very similar to the Niro without the wheel covers. A kind of badass stock off-road custom look. I don't remeber the Subaru having much or any center caps, at least not flashy or chrome caps.

#5 ·
I bought these ones (67mm ID):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32958690794.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6be94c4dYyoO2O
They snap in the rear fine but the front hits the axle and would not fit flush. I used a dremel tool to remove some plastic on the inside and they fit now.
I'm waiting for the silicone lug nut covers to be delivered and then I'll decide if I like the look. This is on my 2019 white LX Niro and I'm still happy with all the different colors on the exterior of the car.

#8 ·
That's true, I just hate to see people removing the wheel covers then two weeks later they're posting on the forums wondering why their mpg has dropped recently and they haven't changed their driving style or done anything differently. No actually you fundamentally changed the aerodynamic design of the vehicle, that's why your mpg has fallen off a cliff.

#20 ·
I wasn't sure about the size, so I ordered 19mm and 21mm silicone covers from China ($11 total). When I went to use them I had a problem. They were to short and wouldn't go down far enough. I could order new lug nuts, new lug nut covers or cut the caps of the lug nuts. I just cut the caps of the lug nuts. With this done, the 19mm covers fit ok, but the flang part of the nut was showing. I tried the 21mm and twisted them over the flange to fit. The feel like they should stay on and lasted through a car wash.

Thanks for commenting,
Chris

#21 · (Edited)
framednlv... That looks good... I was worried about the "PH" being really noticeable, but I just did my first tire rotation today, and left the covers off... Not as bad as I thought...

I'll be driving 250 miles this Sunday without the covers... mostly Interstate, so it will be a true test on the mileage debate. This will be my third trip to this location, and both times previously, I got about 58 mpg... So, we'll see... ;-)

I just ordered those center caps...

#22 ·
Unfortunately not. Too many other variables such as temperature and wind and how well a random pump filled your tank. Wind tunnel test would be required but that’s pointless to except for putting an actual number to the energy savings. My guess is around 1% or less. Good luck with the road test though. I’d never be able to parse a 1% change. That’s about ½ mpg if you can somehow hold the other variables constant.

#27 ·
Realto,
You are confusing me. First you say 3-5/8" and now 2-5/8". Then you ask if I found Kia center caps. I did not find Kia center caps. I did find 67mm center caps and posted a link on the first page of this thread. Please read the whole thread or your MPG will fall off a cliff.

#28 ·
Sorry, I made a typo with the 3. My LX is 2-5/8", the standard Kia wheel has 2-5/16". I actually ordered the ones you linked to. I sure hope my mileage stays on the cliff. I'm already giving up 1MPG for the silver roof rails I don't use (according to EPA est., for what that's worth). Approaching 50MPG without the plastic covers would be totally unacceptable!

#32 ·
It was me who removed the roof rails and the unneeded by me (I never use it) passenger outside mirror. Sorry you find citing sources to back up the aero savings as ludicrous. And you are making a joke of everything here, but it happens I never make trips to convenience stores and I never make short trips by anything but bicycle. I will always have at least two tasks to combine anytime I drive my car. So yes, I save a lot of fuel. Making fun of that on a hybrid forum is in poor taste. Perhaps you meant this for a muscle car forum.

I also removed a good bit of weight from my car, but that was not the primary purpose of customizing the interior so I could easily bring my bicycle on long trips. Still have my glovebox and carpet - auto carpet is really light, so it would indeed be a joke to remove it unless you track a muscle car.

I'm very disappointed with your disrespectful post.

#33 ·
yticolev- well, I am sorry, I didn't know it was a current member and especially not you. You do have some good posts. So nothing personal. However, I must be honest- I still think it's ridiculous removing safety items from a vehicle, even though you may think an outside pass. mirror is not. And I thought the post said they had removed carpet, so maybe it was another poster too. If I fold my seats down, I can still fit in two good sized straight handled fitness bikes, and I prefer the flat surface. I cant imagine removing the seat and have the battery box area sitting there to get banged up. But to each his own.

#34 ·
So a new load floor (with carpet) replaced the seats. The bicycle can go in upright, allowing full space for sleeping in car on trips. Still no PT Cruiser, but it makes it better for me.

As far as the side view mirror goes, I think it is a detriment to safety and would not use it if I had left it there. If I had to rely on it to make a fast lane change, it is far slower focus on it rather than just turning your head (in heavy traffic it is risky to take your eyes off traffic in front to focus on a small far away mirror that is distorted). In addition, my inside third party mirror provides a panoramic view that is better than the side mirror. As a plus, it is delightful to have a better view through the passenger window. The only minus is very small, it is occasionally nice when parallel parking to have a passenger side mirror, and one that dips like top trims would be even better. Easy to live without, and the backup camera takes up the slack.

By the way, the regulators only require one mirror with a good view to the rear in a car. So no laws have been broken.

Finally, I don't care what others do, but increasing efficiency is just as valid a hobby than a lot of bling people like to put on or option onto cars. If everyone was willing and had the money to increase the efficiency of every car in the world by 3-5%, we would be well on our way to improving the environment, the climate, and reducing lives and treasure foolishly spent in the Middle East. Everyone with a Niro is doing their part.

#36 ·
By the way, the regulators only require one mirror with a good view to the rear in a car. So no laws have been broken.
I'm not certain that is quite accurate. Perhaps it's a state by state requirement, but at least here in WA you must have a driver's side mirror, and either a passenger side mirror OR an interior rear view mirror. Since you have the interior mirror, you are legal.

But for vehicles with either a blocked view from the inside (large packages blocking the view, or a vehicle without a back window like a large truck, then the right side mirror is mandatory. I remember my Mom's brand new 1963 Dodge Dart didn't come with a right side mirror (in fact, few cars did back then). Dad added one. He was a long haul bus driver and felt the mirror was necessary and worthwhile. I too drove transit bus for a little while, and know how important it is to see the far side of the vehicle you're driving. I wouldn't want to drive without one myself.

#35 ·
I would belive the difference in MPG between the FE and the LX to be more a factor of the passenger side mirror than the roof rails. I don't see how the weight of the rails will make as much of a difference compared to the weight variance of the person or people inside the car. I know i do quite a bit of driving by myself. That is why I have a car, to get around to the far off places and to bring stuff like groceries and materials for my work back to my home. I can definitely see a difference in the MPG when the family joins me compared to when I am driving by myself.

The side mirror, on the other hand, has a very large profile that sticks out into the wind stream, so it will create quite the amount of turbulence down the car. But from my side, I would rather give up that 1mpg for the safety they give in you can quickly glance to see what is around you much faster with the mirrors before you indicate and then do the far more dangerous shoulder check (as it takes far longer to turn, focus, see and then look back forward)

#37 ·
I would belive the difference in MPG between the FE and the LX to be more a factor of the passenger side mirror than the roof rails. I don't see how the weight of the rails will make as much of a difference
Both the FE and LX come with passenger side mirrors. The primary mpg difference between the two are the roof rails. They are quite light so you are right, it is not the weight difference, it is the aero advantage. They add more frontal area than it appears as they curve from front to back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.