Jacking point - Kia Niro Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Jacking point

In preparing to raise my Niro onto 4 jack stands to rotate the tires, I'm unsure about a rear jacking point. I plan to use the rear weld points to raise each side enough to get the stands into position at the front welds, so I need a rear lifting position to get the stands in place at the rear welds.
Has anyone done this? I think I could use the lower control arms where they link to the body. See the right arrow in the attached picture. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190718_164548_1563503992832.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	5191  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imposter View Post
In preparing to raise my Niro onto 4 jack stands to rotate the tires, I'm unsure about a rear jacking point. I plan to use the rear weld points to raise each side enough to get the stands into position at the front welds, so I need a rear lifting position to get the stands in place at the rear welds.
Has anyone done this? I think I could use the lower control arms where they link to the body. See the right arrow in the attached picture. Thoughts?
I was surprised that the manual didn't specify the jack points until I remembered that the car doesn't come with a jack. However, Google knows everything:

Kia Niro : General information : Lift And Support Points

The part about adding weight to the rear if you remove the fuel tank or other heavy items from the car to prevent it from tipping forward on the hoist is interesting. I wonder what the weight distribution of the car is, I suspect it's seriously nose heavy.
FlNiro likes this.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphEV View Post
I was surprised that the manual didn't specify the jack points until I remembered that the car doesn't come with a jack. However, Google knows everything:

Kia Niro : General information : Lift And Support Points

The part about adding weight to the rear if you remove the fuel tank or other heavy items from the car to prevent it from tipping forward on the hoist is interesting. I wonder what the weight distribution of the car is, I suspect it's seriously nose heavy.
Most of these critters run about 60/40, within a couple of digits one way or the other. I went fishing and found nothing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

I know where the jack points are, but that's where I need to get my jack stands. So where is it safe to lift so that I can get my stands in place?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imposter View Post
I know where the jack points are, but that's where I need to get my jack stands. So where is it safe to lift so that I can get my stands in place?
Ah, gotcha. I think you'd be better off jacking on the factory lift points and putting the stands at the outboard location in your picture. The inboard mount point might work, but it looks a bit thin and is pretty far towards the centerline of the car. It might not be stable there.

I've tried putting jack stands on the pinch welds and I've never been happy with them that way. I always try to put the stands at rigid frame points or under the suspension.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I was wondering about being so close to the center of the car. I think I'll try your suggestion. And such a low point for the jack stand will require less jacking height, too.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
Most of these critters run about 60/40, within a couple of digits one way or the other. I went fishing and found nothing.
Based on superb handling in snow, whatever the weight distribution might be, it sure is the least tail happy car I've ever owned.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:52 PM

For other cars I purposely try to jack right in the center as there is always a good point there. I do one end at a time. Starting at the rear, your front wheels on the ground keep the car from tipping. But then get the stands under the outbound spots ASAP.

Then reverse to the front. The rear stands provide the balance for the center jacking in front.

Disclaimer. I haven't tried this with the NIRO yet.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

gjlost - Then get under your Niro and have a look! The central exhaust run makes it impossible to lift from the center, I think. Let me know how you'd approach this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Based on superb handling in snow, whatever the weight distribution might be, it sure is the least tail happy car I've ever owned.
Tires make the car. What kind of tires are you running?

My Soul has notches along the sub frame which according to the owner's manual are the proper jacking points.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page