Portable Level 2 chargers? - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Question Portable Level 2 chargers?

Has anybody tried any of the Duosida chargers that you can buy from Amazon? Basically it's like the Level 1 charger that comes with the car, except with a plug for 220/240 volts. So all I would have to do is get the electrician to install a plug for a dryer or an air compressor in my garage, depending on which plug is installed on the charger.

I've spent the weekend reading charger reviews on Amazon, and it looks like pretty much every charger out there has some small number of defective units, even the ones running $400 to $1000, so spending a lot on a brand name doesn't guarantee quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 04:02 AM

I bought a clipper creek LCS-25P nema 14-50 for my chevy volt. Never had any issues with it the 3 years I used it. If your going to charge only at night only, you might not even need it since the battery is somewhat small.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 07:54 PM

Garage
I purchased a ZenCar Level Two Charger

I purchased a ZenCar Level Two Charger from Amazon two weeks ago. I had an electrician put in side by side 110v and 220v outlets on the outside of my garage. We have solar panels (one of the reasons I purchased the plug-in hybrid version of the Niro.) Testing the 220v outlet with the ZenCar charger and I can charge the Niro in 2.5 hours when it's almost depleted. At the same time, the home's energy meter is indicating that with full sun, I'm still returning energy to the grid! So, as long as my trips are less than 26 miles, I essentially get a free ride.

Here's the link for the charger: Level 2 EV Charger (240V,16A,28ft) Portable EVSE Home Electric Vehicle Chargi... https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B077KZ4M..._BjHJAb5F8SQSX
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2-15-2018 11-41-00 AM.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	2858  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 10:49 PM

Garage
If you are looking, I have one that I used on my leaf which I no longer need. 220 volt, 6.6 kW max out, settable for lower power settings, J1772 plug... $300... if interested let me know!

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

I ended up ordering a Clipper Creek portable because of the 3 year warranty. Now it just has to get warm enough in my neck of the woods for an electrician to put a 14-30 outlet in my garage.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 01:09 AM

I got one of the Duosida charges for use at work where it is powered by one phase of a 208/3phase outlet. So far so good. It works as I had expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
Has anybody tried any of the Duosida chargers that you can buy from Amazon? Basically it's like the Level 1 charger that comes with the car, except with a plug for 220/240 volts. So all I would have to do is get the electrician to install a plug for a dryer or an air compressor in my garage, depending on which plug is installed on the charger.

I've spent the weekend reading charger reviews on Amazon, and it looks like pretty much every charger out there has some small number of defective units, even the ones running $400 to $1000, so spending a lot on a brand name doesn't guarantee quality.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:33 PM

I got a "free" ($100 after tax and shipping) JuiceBox Pro 40 through my power company.

You can get it either as a plug-in (10-40?) or as hardwire. I got the plug-in type with a 10-30 adapter and plug it into my dryer outlet. I have a 10-30 "Dryer Buddy" from BSA electronics coming so I don't have to switch out the dryer/charger plugs all the time.

I just got it setup yesterday and charged last night... all went well and I like the wifi controls on it.

You can order a carrying bag for this (or just use a gym bag) but this sucker is on the heavy side... maybe 40# including the charger cord.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page