Charging problems - Page 3 - Kia Niro Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Hi
I just had this happen to me after 2 months of no problems. I cant see any yellow cable under the hood or in the manual. Can you tell me what page its on in the manual.
The charging connector release is actually orange on my car. There is a poor image of it on page H13 of the main manual. I've attached a photo of mine. Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charging connector release 2.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	3927  
charlesH, Don and dots like this.

2018 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium - Aurora Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 04:35 AM
Don

Thanks, it is orange n my car also, needed a relatively firm pull until a clear click is heard and now it works again. cheers !!
FiddlingNiro and dots like this.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 09:25 AM

Just a quick update. They took the Niro for 3 days to try to track down the original problem with charging.

They identified a wiring harness in the charging system that had faulty resistance. It's been replaced and looks like everything is working........for now
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:40 AM

It's failed to charge twice again, works for a few weeks and then get the red light again. Been in twice, they reset things and I'm just waiting for it to happen again!
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 11:08 AM

We bought our 2019 PHEV new yesterday, but when we plugged it in at home (level 1) we get no charging and a red blinking fault alert. Changed the charging speed to lowest but that didn't help. Is there anything else to try besides taking it back the dealer?

Not the new-car experience I was hoping for.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 05:54 PM

The cable may be bad, but it is more likely the circuit you plugged into is bad. Have an electrician check it out. Or you can try several other 120 volt sockets and see if any of them work. If so, it is your garage outlet.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
The cable may be bad, but it is more likely the circuit you plugged into is bad. Have an electrician check it out. Or you can try several other 120 volt sockets and see if any of them work. If so, it is your garage outlet.

Appreciate the reply. You're right. In my house it gives a fault alert on all but one of our non-GFCI outlets, but no fault on our GFCIs. Like you say, need an electrician to check it out.

The manual isn't helpful on this, it just says if you get a fault alert to go in to the dealer, says nothing about a circuit check. So I'm glad to get better info here.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:01 PM
Riz

Please can those of you with persistent reoccurring charging problems with the PHEV Niro let me know if you have found out the cause and solution....? My car worked fine for 6months , started with intermittent fault (red light ) which corrected by pulling the emergency release button but not for long . The Kia garage replaced the wiring assembly socket under warranty and it worked for just over a week before faulting again - red light on dashboard and yellow triangle saying ‘check hybrid system ‘ on display ... I had a second warranty repair which replaced the same part . This lasted four days before the red light came back . The charger is not locking into the car and when I returned to the garage I was told the locking pin was missing and that I was not eligible for a third repair under warranty as I’ve had two in two months . The garage want over 500 and are saying external influences are causing the pin to break . I’m convinced there is an underlying fault and now even more so after reading others have had the same issues . Kia tell me no other cars have required this part replacing more than once and that either I am to blame or my home charging cable . I’m having a service of my charging point and cable to rule that out . I know I’ve not misused the charger . There is no evidence from home security or how I’ve found the car of vandalism . I’m now left with a car that has only run mainly on petrol since last September which I’m reluctant to repair . I loved this car but am now seriously considering getting rid of it . The response from Kia customer care and the upset it has caused has made me think that the 7 year Kia warranty is no guarantee of addressing the problems .
Anyone else had the same charging problems please let me know if you got them fixed and if the repair lasted ? Thanks
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:05 PM
Riz

Charging problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitty49 View Post
It's failed to charge twice again, works for a few weeks and then get the red light again. Been in twice, they reset things and I'm just waiting for it to happen again!
Charging problems - Mitty 49: did you get your car fixed and find out what was wrong ? I’ve got the same problems .... Thanks
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 02:29 PM

Hi

I had it back in the dealer last sept and its working since then. They told me they couldn't find anything wrong, they just reset the system and it seems to be working now. I'm sure it's a pin problem. I'd taken to videoing it everytime I charged it in case I got the red light, but luckily it's been OK. Fortunately my dealer hasn't fussed at all about fixing things sbf and it's been in 4 times with this. Last time time was 10 days but on that occasion didn't replace anything just reset it. Never have they blamed me for the problem. Maybe KIA UK are a bit more flexible.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page