User manual recommends level 1 charging in case of emergencies? - Kia Niro Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Question User manual recommends level 1 charging in case of emergencies?

We were not planning on installing a level 2 charger to charge our 2018 Niro Plug in Hybrid since our daily commute is just a few miles each way, however on reviewing the user manual it states that level 1 charging should only be used in the case of emergency (no level 2 charger available). I also read on the 'Red' UVO eco app that level 1 charging is not advised because it can reduce battery life. I've done some research online and can't find any discussion of level 1 charging being sub-optimal for battery life. Is there something different about the battery in the Niro? Has anyone been charging the level 1 charger regularly (several times a week) and noticed significant degeneration in their battery?
extech67 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 10:58 AM

I read in another forum that this dictate is more likely to be about home wiring safety and liability lawsuits. In all my reading, it seems that high rates of charge are more likely to impact battery life, not low rates. Tesla limits fast supercharging, reducing the current after some number of fast charges. I'm not sure we could characterize battery charging while driving as fast either, but perhaps faster than level one.

The worry about home fires is real. Check that the wire size and receptacles are good. Even three amps continuous draw could cause wire to become warm and cause ignition of local substrate.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 12:31 PM

I wonder if anyone with the PHEV has access to a "Kill-a-Watt".
You plug in the kill a watt to the wall connector and plug in your TV or electric saw in the kill-a-watt.
Now you can see how much electricity takes to power the appliance, it shows watts and amps used.
I'd love to see how many watts are used to charge a Niro with the factory supplied charging cord, with 110 volts ( normal household current).
Amazon sells the gadget for $ 21, also available in Home Depot.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 03:48 PM

Garage
The Level 2 charger that I have for sale since I sold the Leaf would start off drawing approx 15 or so amps, but as the charge progressed, itwould start to draw less and less amps! as long as you have the proper wiring and breaker set up, it's not a problem.

Anyone looking for a really nice Level 2 EVSE, I have one, it works terrific, PM me, it's got to go to a good home!!

Plus it has a built in meter that reads VOLTS, AMPS, kWh used, and instant wattage drawn.

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 04:28 PM

Hi all! I've been researching the Niro PHEV and I came across this thread while trying to figure out the reason level 1 charging is only for "emergency" use only (page H4 in the owner's manual). From my looking around the interwebs, it appears the reason may be liability worries about household wiring, or shortened battery life. I read somewhere that level 1 charging doesn't properly "condition" the battery leading to a shortened lifespan.

Does anyone here know for certain the reason level 1 charging is only for "emergency" use?

Why would there ever be an emergency where one would have to plug in. After all, it runs just like a regular hybrid when the battery is empty. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any insight that can be shared!
TK6 likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 04:12 PM

This is from my WEMO, using 110 cord, it usually draws 1360 watts for 6 to 8 hours, depending on how much I pulled out of the battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-03-25-13-31-07_1522008626393.png
Views:	450
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	3138  
extech67 likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 08:55 AM

This is some details for level 2 charging...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180326_075140_HDR_1522068898344.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	3146  
extech67 likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 03:52 PM

I'm not an expert on the Niro, but I have a feeling it is liability related as others mentioned.
As a Volt owner, I know several owners have had issues with melted plugs, or charred outlets. Personally, I had an outlet show some minor signs of burning before I swapped it out. Unfortunately outlets aren't really designed to handle charging at 12A for 10+ hours. Even minor resistance will end up causing significant heat.
Chevy addresses this by defaulting to 8A charging, unless you override that manually, which helps protect Chevy from any liability.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 09:36 AM

Manuals in other markets do not have this warning. Of course, much of the world wires their homes with 240 which are constructed with much higher safety standards, including switched outlets.
Arthur likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 04:25 PM

I’ve been using the Level 1 “emergency” charger for about 6 months. I believe others are correct that it is a liability concern based on the load on home wiring. The charger has indicator lights for L / M / H charging (8, 10, and 12 amps respectively). The charger always defaults to “H”. Since I charge over night, I can live with the time penalty of going to a lower amperage but have not found how to force the charger to go low. Anybody have any ideas?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page