Drive in movies - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Drive in movies

I hope I ask this question in the right spot...I have the 2018 Niro Graphite Ed. and going to the drive in`s tomorrow night. Is it better to tune into the radio station and watch the 1 1/2 to 2 hr movie with the Niro ignition pushed on or in AUX mode?

Any comments or answers will greatly be appreciated...thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:17 PM

I don't think it makes much of a difference, but if you turn the car "on", it is not going to annoy you with alerts to turn off. It might start the engine once in a while (you may be able to avoid that if you don't hold the brake down when you "start"), especially if you are using the AC. If the 12 V battery does go flat, you get to test the recharge button! Or utilize the free roadside assistance Kia offers.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
hum.!!! drive in movie.!! never tought about that one!..

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (7200 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 04:00 PM

Have never been to a drive in movie and I assume the sound comes from random speakers placed around the venue. Can cars handle the radio playing for 2 hours in general while the engine is off?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 05:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuron View Post
Have never been to a drive in movie and I assume the sound comes from random speakers placed around the venue. Can cars handle the radio playing for 2 hours in general while the engine is off?

Folks have been using car radios for sound at drive inns for decades! This was of course when cars actually had a pretty good 12 volt battery that could handle all those "B" movie classics! To ask a car to run the radio was a given back then, now not so much.....

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 09:07 AM

The specific issue with most hybrids including the Niro is a much smaller capacity 12 V battery. So even two hours of radio has the potential to run it flat. Not likely in my opinion, but there will be a lot of annoying alerts. Regular ICE cars that depend on a 12 V battery to crank the engine have multiple times the capacity of our cars, and running the radio is trivial.

I once lost my alternator on a long trip and the idiot light came on. I assumed the light was broken and drove on. After some time, the car wouldn't run if the radio was on! Very light car, so I was able to push start it unaided and the spark plugs required so little energy I managed to go a hundred miles or so to the next city (I was on the Natchez Trace Parkway) to get it fixed (with the radio off). No computer chips in that car - would never be able to do that again in any modern car.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 10:06 AM

I would turn car on so that if the battery depletes while watching movie, the engine will briefly turn on to replenish and you won't be getting the annoying warning messages on the screen.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies...update the Niro did great went with the "engine on" no problems. Thanks again cheers!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 11:31 AM

you can always take a portable radio with you.
FlNiro likes this.

Cary, NI2Q - Amateur Extra Class
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
The specific issue with most hybrids including the Niro is a much smaller capacity 12 V battery. So even two hours of radio has the potential to run it flat. Not likely in my opinion, but there will be a lot of annoying alerts. Regular ICE cars that depend on a 12 V battery to crank the engine have multiple times the capacity of our cars, and running the radio is trivial.

I once lost my alternator on a long trip and the idiot light came on. I assumed the light was broken and drove on. After some time, the car wouldn't run if the radio was on! Very light car, so I was able to push start it unaided and the spark plugs required so little energy I managed to go a hundred miles or so to the next city (I was on the Natchez Trace Parkway) to get it fixed (with the radio off). No computer chips in that car - would never be able to do that again in any modern car.
I did this in a 1979 Buick - took us three folks to push start it!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page