charging the EV Battery with engine running - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By yticolev

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

charging the EV Battery with engine running

is there a way to charge the battery using the engine running?
i've tried several way and didn't see it charging up.
sitting still at a traffic light i pull the lever to the left and got the engine running but charging status didn't change.

Maybe it's smarter than i'm trying to make it.
gary

2018 Niro EX Premium White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:49 PM

The charging status only shows regenerative braking, not charging from the engine running. However, unless the battery is full, it is always charging while the engine is running. Leave it in sport mode and you will see the battery charge indicator go up until full. But unless you have another reason to run in sport mode, this has a negative effect on efficiency. Simply speaking, running in sport mode will reduce your mpg significantly, even after using the extra charge accumulated in the traction battery.
spankym likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech