Is scheduled charging reliable? - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KiadeNiro

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Is scheduled charging reliable?

Hello everyone. I have a 2018 Niro PHEV LX. I recently signed up for TOU hours with SDG&E in order to save money in charging. Instead of my previous $.27 per hour charge, I am now down to $.09! The only catch is I have to charge between 12 midnight to 6 AM.

So what I have been doing is plug in my vehicle at 9 PM and then sleep by 10 PM. I don't unplug until 7 AM the next day. I scheduled my car to charge for 2.5 hours only.

It should be reliable right? Even when my Duosida's charging green light is on, my phone app shows the car simply being "plugged in". When it is charging, it does say that. I guess I just got worried with the light being on for my charger. Haha.

Any thoughts?

This is the blurb on the charger's website -
220v Level 2 EVSE 16amp Fast Charger w/ NEMA 6-20p Plug + FREE 110v Plug Adapter.

NEW: Electric vehicle charger now comes with a standard 110v NEMA 5-15 adapter. Included Free!

The Duosida Level 2 Fast Charger is compatible with all EV cars manufactured in the US. Some examples include the Chevy Volt, Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Fiat 500e, Prius Plug-in, Ford Energi, BMW and Audi EVs, etc.

The unit is waterproof and UL Listed - you can use it outdoors
It is also flame resistant and has a lightning proof case
The J1772 Standard plug means this charger will work with all electric vehicles sold in the U.S.
This is a level 2 fast charger and can charge your vehicle up to 3x faster than a level 1 standard 110v charger
Charger will use 16 amps of a 20 amp circuit @ 240 volts
The male plug is a 6-20p connector and you can see what it looks like in the images above
This is a portable charger or you may install it into a wall with it's built in fasteners that will accept regular house hold screws
The unit is capable of auto switching, so you can also use it as a standard level 1 charger if it senses a 110v current
Total output is 3840 watts or 3.84 kW at 240 volts
Charger comes with a 1 year warranty

Here is the link - https://duosidaevchargers.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 03:25 PM
TK6

So you are using your charger to schedule the charging, and not the car? I used the Niro's interface to schedule charging.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiadeNiro View Post
Hello everyone. I have a 2018 Niro PHEV LX. I recently signed up for TOU hours with SDG&E in order to save money in charging. Instead of my previous $.27 per hour charge, I am now down to $.09! The only catch is I have to charge between 12 midnight to 6 AM.

So what I have been doing is plug in my vehicle at 9 PM and then sleep by 10 PM. I don't unplug until 7 AM the next day. I scheduled my car to charge for 2.5 hours only.

It should be reliable right? Even when my Duosida's charging green light is on, my phone app shows the car simply being "plugged in". When it is charging, it does say that. I guess I just got worried with the light being on for my charger. Haha.

Any thoughts?

This is the blurb on the charger's website -
220v Level 2 EVSE 16amp Fast Charger w/ NEMA 6-20p Plug + FREE 110v Plug Adapter.

NEW: Electric vehicle charger now comes with a standard 110v NEMA 5-15 adapter. Included Free!

The Duosida Level 2 Fast Charger is compatible with all EV cars manufactured in the US. Some examples include the Chevy Volt, Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Fiat 500e, Prius Plug-in, Ford Energi, BMW and Audi EVs, etc.

The unit is waterproof and UL Listed - you can use it outdoors
It is also flame resistant and has a lightning proof case
The J1772 Standard plug means this charger will work with all electric vehicles sold in the U.S.
This is a level 2 fast charger and can charge your vehicle up to 3x faster than a level 1 standard 110v charger
Charger will use 16 amps of a 20 amp circuit @ 240 volts
The male plug is a 6-20p connector and you can see what it looks like in the images above
This is a portable charger or you may install it into a wall with it's built in fasteners that will accept regular house hold screws
The unit is capable of auto switching, so you can also use it as a standard level 1 charger if it senses a 110v current
Total output is 3840 watts or 3.84 kW at 240 volts
Charger comes with a 1 year warranty

Here is the link - https://duosidaevchargers.com/
use the car charging app on center console to set "off peak" as 12 am to 6 am and set to only charge "off peak".

Works every time.

Fyi I pay 3.5 / Kwhr off peak

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 04:00 PM

So you have a delay programmed into the charger until midnight. Once the PHEV is fully charged some 2 hours later no more energy will be extracted from the charger. You can unplug at any time during the day after a full charge. I have a highly customized DIY charger that sends me emails when it begins charging and also when it stops charging it also sends and responds to MQTT and gets time stamps from National atomic clock.

These commercial chargers are just a relay and a few comparators plus a PWM generator and are very profitable for the manufacturer. The car plug and the cable are the most expensive parts.

In Florida my utility has reduced rates at night but offsets that by increased rates during the day so there is little net gain unless all the usage for the home is at night.... the rate is good at 12c per kilowatt hour.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

So my question is, when I plug in at 9PM (scheduled to charge at midnight), it won't be charging on its own right?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

I am using the UVO Eco app to schedule my charging.
dontfret likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:42 AM

App works great

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page