Level 1 PHEV Charging Stops With No Faults - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Level 1 PHEV Charging Stops With No Faults

5 day old 2018 PHEV. Problem from 1st night, trying to charge with Level 1 charging cable, charging starts fine at High level, but after 30-90 min Green dash light goes out with only a few miles added. Removing cable and re-inserting restarts charging, but stops again in less than 1 hour.

20 amp 110V circuit being used with no extension cord or other devices pulling current on circuit & voltage reads 117-120V on a meter. Installed Uvo Eco app on phone & after watching charging last night from phone and seeing it had stopped again, I could restart charging from app, but it stopped again at 67%. Set car at Reduced Charging Level (M) in dash & restarted charging. Checking this morning it had stopped charging at 73%, with no error messages & level 1 charger looks normal & app shows car still plugged in & I can restart charging.

Have any of you seen this problem, and was it a charging cable or a car problem? Other than this car seems great after 5 days & ~ 200 miles.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPoli View Post
5 day old 2018 PHEV. Problem from 1st night, trying to charge with Level 1 charging cable, charging starts fine at High level, but after 30-90 min Green dash light goes out with only a few miles added. Removing cable and re-inserting restarts charging, but stops again in less than 1 hour.

20 amp 110V circuit being used with no extension cord or other devices pulling current on circuit & voltage reads 117-120V on a meter. Installed Uvo Eco app on phone & after watching charging last night from phone and seeing it had stopped again, I could restart charging from app, but it stopped again at 67%. Set car at Reduced Charging Level (M) in dash & restarted charging. Checking this morning it had stopped charging at 73%, with no error messages & level 1 charger looks normal & app shows car still plugged in & I can restart charging.

Have any of you seen this problem, and was it a charging cable or a car problem? Other than this car seems great after 5 days & ~ 200 miles.

Thanks
I have had no problem at all charging at H (12A).

I would try charging at L (8A) and see if that works. If yes, then I suppose you outlet is not as robust as one would like.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
I have had no problem at all charging at H (12A).

I would try charging at L (8A) and see if that works. If yes, then I suppose you outlet is not as robust as one would like.
I should point out that my charging outlet is half of a dryer outlet rated at 240V and 30A, so it is exceptionally robust able to deliver 120v @ 30A.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try that later today. But I doubt a 20A circuit couldn't handle the 10A M level charging I last tried. I can plug a an 1800W hair dryer into it and run it on high for several minutes with no problems, and when first plugging the level 1 cord (that's called an EVSE, right?) into the outlet and attempting to charge, the cord's electronics do a handshake between the car and the house circuit to see what amperage it can handle and it always comes back reporting H available. So, I'm hoping it's a cord electronics problem, but have a dealer service setup for Tuesday to check it. Oh, I also tried the "pull on the orange emergency release in the engine compartment" idea to make sure it wasn't a latch problem with no different result.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 03:40 PM

I've owned my PHEV for three months now (850 miles). Charge it on average every 3rd or 4th night. Run the vehicle on electric most of the time except for an occasional trip out of town. When I first started charging the battery I charged on the high setting but after reading more about the process I backed down to the medium setting. The extra time needed to complete the charge is a non-factor for me. To date not one problem with charging or anything else for that matter. Hope you can resolve the problem.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I'll try that later today. But I doubt a 20A circuit couldn't handle the 10A M level charging I last tried. I can plug a an 1800W hair dryer into it and run it on high for several minutes with no problems, and when first plugging the level 1 cord (that's called an EVSE, right?) into the outlet and attempting to charge, the cord's electronics do a handshake between the car and the house circuit to see what amperage it can handle and it always comes back reporting H available. So, I'm hoping it's a cord electronics problem, but have a dealer service setup for Tuesday to check it. Oh, I also tried the "pull on the orange emergency release in the engine compartment" idea to make sure it wasn't a latch problem with no different result.
try going to higher current by finding a level 2 charger and try that. If you still have problems it's probably a car problem.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Tried 2 things in last day. First forced charge to L Level (boy they make that hard to find in the menus!). On L it charged all the way to 100% without quitting. Slow, but worked. I checked the voltage drop in each charging level to see if it was causing the problem, but it didn't appear to be. No load I had 120.3V; L Level charging 117.5 - 118V; M Level charging 117V; & H Level charging 116.5-117V; all within allowable and expected voltage drops for a 120V line with 8, 10 & 12A loads.

Second, I was plugged in at a level 2 charger for ~ 15 minutes today and it seemed to continue charging without any problems.

So, I'm still planning on seeing the dealer, next week but am leaning towards believing it's something in the EVSE cable that isn't happy at higher loads.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

If you make the assumpton that your electrical outlet is wired correctly and doesn't have loose or reversed connectors. If there was something wrong with the power going to that outlet, you would likely get a fault/blown fuse at the panel if you were overloading the outlet. As you have tried charging at a LVL2 station then it is doubtful that it had something wrong inside the PHEV as you would be getting far higher load from that connection and if there was an issue with the charging circuits on the battery, that would have failed.

I would guess that the sensors on the LVL1 type cables are faulty and is tripping thinking that the cable is pulling more current and overheating. That is likely the issue and would need a cable swap out. I am sure there is a % of cables that have issues as they would not do a true test on each and every one of them in an QC production run.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Tried 2 things in last day. First forced charge to L Level (boy they make that hard to find in the menus!). On L it charged all the way to 100% without quitting. Slow, but worked. I checked the voltage drop in each charging level to see if it was causing the problem, but it didn't appear to be. No load I had 120.3V; L Level charging 117.5 - 118V; M Level charging 117V; & H Level charging 116.5-117V; all within allowable and expected voltage drops for a 120V line with 8, 10 & 12A loads.

Second, I was plugged in at a level 2 charger for ~ 15 minutes today and it seemed to continue charging without any problems.

So, I'm still planning on seeing the dealer, next week but am leaning towards believing it's something in the EVSE cable that isn't happy at higher loads.
The next thing I would do is try a different level 1 cable as you suggest.

Does a level 2 charger charge all the way to 100% ? If yes, then I suspect the level 1 cable. If no, then I suspect an internal car problem.

At any rate you have gathered a lot of data to help the dealer.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 09:35 PM

Garage
2018 EX PHEV Niro charging: No real problems after 3 weeks.
Started charging on H (12 A) setting for first two weeks then changed to M ( 10 A) setting when I figured how to do it with no problems.
The display on the charger always shows " H " ? even though the in car charge setting display is set to Reduced. It is charging at Reduced - M ( 10 A ) I know this because it takes longer to charge. I have tested my 110 volt outlet with a P4400 KILL A WATT for proper voltage. With the charger run through the KILL A WATT it shows 9.5 amps at M setting. The 110 volt receptacle and charger show almost no heat to the touch.
As for incomplete charging, sometimes 24 miles sometimes 26 miles? Charging anomaly? No big deal.
I Know the Service Manager in my local KIA Dealership ( 5 miles away ) I will ask about any charging problems with our cars when I see him next week & report back if any. Dave

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page