Free Charging Stations and charger types - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Question Free Charging Stations and charger types

Hi,

Just grabbed the last 2018 Kia Niro PHEV EX available in the New England area in US. I am very new to electric charging and need some education.

Question#1: I heard that we can charge for free. Is it true? If yes, can someone please provide details regarding - how to find free charging stations ? If no, what are the best options to charge for cheap?

Question#2: Can I charge at any charging station or are there any limitations based on the charger type? Did some googling and came across J1772, CHADEMO types. Don't know what they are, but does both of them work or only one works for Niro? Also it appears like there are Level 1, 2, 3 charger types.. how to find them?

Thank you in advance.

Thanks,
r-a-v-i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravivedala View Post
Hi,

Just grabbed the last 2018 Kia Niro PHEV EX available in the New England area in US. I am very new to electric charging and need some education.

Question#1: I heard that we can charge for free. Is it true? If yes, can someone please provide details regarding - how to find free charging stations ? If no, what are the best options to charge for cheap?

Question#2: Can I charge at any charging station or are there any limitations based on the charger type? Did some googling and came across J1772, CHADEMO types. Don't know what they are, but does both of them work or only one works for Niro? Also it appears like there are Level 1, 2, 3 charger types.. how to find them?

Thank you in advance.

Thanks,
r-a-v-i
This is my second PHEV, first was the 2013 Cmax Energi.

Some stores/malls/universities/cities do provide free charging stations for patrons, most do not. The vast majority of EV stations are not free, but pay per hour (e.g., Blink), and it is never worth it for a PHEV versus the cost of the gasoline it replaces. $2/hour for 2.5 hours to get 26 miles EV for $5, versus about $1.75 for a half gallon of gasoline at 46 MPG. Only do it for the cool factor or if you're willing to pay for the convenient parking spot!!

Some companies will let you plug in your extension cord while you work - but for me it was never worth the hassle of having to park next to the wall outlet.

You need J1172, the vast majority are this connector and are Type 2 (240 volts).
How to find them are either your car will show you from the display or you can use a mobile app.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Interesting, thanks for the info.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 02:12 AM

Check out the site Plug Share.
https://www.plugshare.com

It will show where many chargers are at and the cost.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page