2019 Plug-in Niro - Charger Error - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

2019 Plug-in Niro - Charger Error

Hi,
For some reason my charger is showing an error on it that reads "fault." I've tried every outlet in my garage and it shows the same error. I took it back to the dealer and the charger worked...now I'm over here scratching my head. Have any of you experienced this type of issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Duff View Post
Hi,
For some reason my charger is showing an error on it that reads "fault." I've tried every outlet in my garage and it shows the same error. I took it back to the dealer and the charger worked...now I'm over here scratching my head. Have any of you experienced this type of issue?
try setting the charge rate to L low (Vs M or H) in PHEV/charger settings.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Duff View Post
Hi,
Hi mine is doing the exact same. Within the first few days after purchase I called my dealer and was told to simply bring the cord in to the parts department for a new one. Once I got there I was told they do not have them in stock and that I would need to go through their service department to get it validated that the cord was the problem. Which I did next. The tech said it was working but then I found out that he only tried my charger for a short time then switch it to the level two to complete the charge more rapidly. My husband and I met with our service tech when we went out to pick it up (a day and a half later) and he explained that we didn't have it scheduled properly or maybe our garage outlet wasn't the correct voltage. Got home and had the same problem so I started to investigate all possible causes. I have plenty of volts in my garage and even had an electrician come out and verify it. So I tried it in two other garages, and had the same start and stop issue. Then I tried my friends Ford Cmax cord and it charged perfectly to 100% with not problems. I have had a very frustrating time getting Kia to issue a new cord. I have had several calls with customer service, UVO and my tech rep. They still won't issue a replacement until I can have their service department verify that the cord is the problem. I have sent pictures of the non function and functioning charge (with the outside charger), but that is not enough for KIA.. so I am waiting to go back again to insure they test it properly and issue me a new charger. I cannot imagine why they are so reluctant to simply order me a new cord when my car is only a month old and has had this problem since day one. I have spend way too much time and energy on this for a new vehicle that is under warrentee. If they refuse me this next time I will really be upset and for sure never buy a KIA again!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 03:52 PM

As charles said above, try changing the rate settings. For whatever reasons, the car decides the electricity conduit is unsafe at the higher settings in many homes. You should be fine at the low rate to charge overnight, only if you need to charge quickly during the day are you screwed.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:30 PM

Garage
There are several threads on this forum with people having the same problem. I suspect there are some quality control problems with the included Level 1 chargers. It's disappointing that Kia is so reluctant to replace a bad charger since they are so cheap and the ill will they get from people not being able to charge their brand new PHEV at home has to far outweigh the cost of a few new chargers.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:18 PM

If this problem persists I would try to escalate your complaint to the Kia corporate office: Kia Headquarters Information ? Headquarters Info

Worth a try...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 06:46 PM

I am still waiting to take mine in again to prove the cord is the problem, they will not accept the photos I sent showing my cord with an error reading within 20 minutes and a ford Cmax cord working fine and charging my car all the way. My customer service person said I still need to bring it in so their mechanic (the same one that gave me the wrong info the last time I brought it in) can confirm it is the cord... I told them I would only bring it out if I could have the loaner car so that I don't have to bug my husband to follow me out there and waist both our days... that was almost two weeks ago - and they still have not provided me that.. it seems those loner cars are very hard to reserve. She said maybe next week. This is getting ridiculous. I will definitely reach out to headquarters if this does not get resolved soon. KIA should be ashamed of this lack of support and handling.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page