Does North American Niro EV have both thermal heating and cooling? - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Does North American Niro EV have both thermal heating and cooling?

Here's a quote from Inside Ev's about the Kona EV battery:
able to squeeze some exclusive news for InsideEVs from Hyundai senior Manager of eco and performance powertrains, Jerome Gregeois. Gregeois told me that the Hyundai Kona Electrics sent to North America WILL NOT have active battery heating, unlike the cars going to European countries. Instead, they will only have thermal management with active battery cooling, but not heating. That’s a pretty significant sign to me that Hyundai isn’t serious about selling the Kona electric in the Northern states or Canada, where battery pre-conditioning in the winter months is very important.

I'm hoping that the Niro EV doesn't follow suit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone have any information regarding the Niro ev battery sent to the states?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold weather ev View Post
Does anyone have any information regarding the Niro ev battery sent to the states?
Hi Cold weather ev...

"According to Kia, the North American version of the 2019 Niro EV will come standard with a heat pump to more efficiently assist with cabin heating and the dedicated battery heater will be an optional feature."

https://electricrevs.com/2018/12/20/...gement-design/

"According to Kia, the North American" i do know that Canadian version will have a heat pump, but do not know for the USA.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:35 PM

Hey, we are part of North America! No wall has been proposed yet with partitioning of the continent and renaming the southern half Trump continent. Only then will heat pumps go solely to Canada.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Hey, we are part of North America! No wall has been proposed yet with partitioning of the continent and renaming the southern half Trump continent. Only then will heat pumps go solely to Canada.

>In Korea, all Niro's for USA vs all Niro's for Canada are not on the same production cycle.!

From what i know from the official specs received from my contact at Kia Canada, the Canadian Niro EV will have a heat pump...! Now will it be the same on the other side of the "border".. i do not know!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:34 AM

We are in North America, and the press release says cars headed for NA will have heat pumps. Nothing else is known. I don't know what you mean by a different production cycle, that would be proprietary information not likely made available to the public. Certainly manufacturers stage rollouts and quantities differently for different countries (and different states and provinces), but we are really talking about trim usually (some engine differences possible too). No question that different countries have different trims that are seldom exactly the same, but how the factory chooses to produce them is an open question. I would assume that for efficiency, each trim will have a certain number of sequential cars produced. Is that what you mean by a different "production cycle"?

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link to the article. Good to see that the thermal heating is an option. Hopefully, they will be available in the northern states eventually. We presently have two Ford Cmax Energi's and I wouldn't mind trading one of them on the Niro EV. We already have a level 2 charger in our garage.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Without any thermal heating our EV only miles are cut in half.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

With thermal heating, it looks like the Winter range drops about 25% in posts I am seeing from Norway. Level 3 charging also varies by soc, midlevel much slower than low level soc when using level 3.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 06:31 PM

Thermal heating? What other kind is there?

This first drive review by Car and Driver in California a couple days ago is a Niro EV with the promised heat pump.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...iro-ev-driven/

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page