is "heat pump" or/and "Battery heating system" matter? - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Where are you getting 29 hours to charge the Niro EV on Level 2? The reports I've read say 9 hours 35 minutes with a 7.2 kW charger (32 amp).
You are damm right Mate, 9h, not 29.!!! LOL my bad! and dont ask me where i got this number!
atc98092 likes this.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 02:24 PM

Garage
I have the Canadian SX version since April. I typically have the climate control set to 20.5C. Yesterday at 4p we had 30C air temp and the A/C was working hard to cool down the car using about 1.7kW. After about 10 min driving on the highway the energy usage of the A/C dropped to 1.2kW. I was doing about 120 km/h so this adds about 1 kWh/100km energy consumption. Which is about 30km range on the full battery. Pretty good to me!

I am still not clear how the heat pump works. Any pointers to a good explanation on this technology?

Peter

Current:2019 Niro EV SX Touring
Past:2018 Niro Hybrid EX Premium

Previously mostly German ICE cars…
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbodifee View Post
I have the Canadian SX version since April. I typically have the climate control set to 20.5C. Yesterday at 4p we had 30C air temp and the A/C was working hard to cool down the car using about 1.7kW. After about 10 min driving on the highway the energy usage of the A/C dropped to 1.2kW. I was doing about 120 km/h so this adds about 1 kWh/100km energy consumption. Which is about 30km range on the full battery. Pretty good to me!

I am still not clear how the heat pump works. Any pointers to a good explanation on this technology?
Ohhh. April! one of the first in Canada to get one! congrats!

For the heat pump, it's more in the winter time that you will benefit the effect of it. it's the same thing as an home heat-pump. the AC works directly on the electric motor and for the heat, the pump will generate some hot air and send it into the cabin. But take note that like home heat-pump, below -10c, it becomes useless and from there, the heat will be sent from a kind of electric radiator in the car.

For the Battery heating system, it is the same as the heat pump, but it lets you pre-heat the cabin when charging the car.!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbodifee View Post
A heat pump is basically an air conditioning unit run in reverse. Instead of extracting heat from the interior and replacing it with cooler air, it pulls heat out of the exterior and brings it inside. That's why they lose efficiency at lower external temps. The usual limit for a heat pump to provide a useful temp improvement inside is about 30F. Below that there just isn't enough latent heat outside to extract enough to bring it inside. So you still need resistance heating for the interior on the colder days. But if there's enough heat outside to extract, a heat pump is usually anywhere between 40-80% more efficient than resistance heating. That translates into better EV range.
Pbodifee likes this.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 02:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
Ohhh. April! one of the first in Canada to get one! congrats!
The dealer told me I was the second owner in BC...
Quote:
For the heat pump, it's more in the winter time that you will benefit the effect of it. it's the same thing as an home heat-pump. the AC works directly on the electric motor and for the heat, the pump will generate some hot air and send it into the cabin. But take note that like home heat-pump, below -10c, it becomes useless and from there, the heat will be sent from a kind of electric radiator in the car.
Thanks for clarifying.
Quote:
For the Battery heating system, it is the same as the heat pump, but it lets you pre-heat the cabin when charging the car.!
My understand is that pre-heating the cabin while being on external power uses some of the external power to drive the heat pump or radiator instead of draining the battery. Is that what they mean with ‘battery heating system’?
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Battery heating is not the same as cabin heating. To pre-heat the cabin, the HVAC system is engaged, and yes that uses traction battery power. If the car is plugged in, then external power should be used. Battery heating is solely to warm the cells for more optimum performance, both during driving and while charging. Batteries also have some sort of cooling system. Usually liquid cooled, but some cars use passive cooling, such as the Leaf. And if you're in a hot climate, passive cooling is not ideal.

Dan

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 04:25 PM

Then there is no battery heating in the Niro. As I understand it, under some conditions, the HVAC controls will be overridden by BMS to either heat or cool the battery in addition to the simple circulation fans.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM

The battery heater comes with the previously-mentioned optional heat pump - they're a "cold weather" package.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
From what a dealer told me, all Niro EVs shipped to my state (WA) are equipped with the cold weather package. Now cold here is usually only into the 40F range, although we do get a little below freezing on occasion. But I've lived here all my life (almost 65 years now) and it's extremely rare for us to hit single digit temps. I think a heat pump is absolutely the way to go on any car that isn't located in the southern US states.

Dan

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Boston View Post
The battery heater comes with the previously-mentioned optional heat pump - they're a "cold weather" package.
The heat pump is for interior climate control. Do you know for sure that it also plumbs the liquid coolant system for the EV battery? I Would think there would be enough heating from battery discharge (or charging) to sufficiently warm the battery and that cooling is more of a concern.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page